Newsletter

Logo
CIEA Environmental Chronicle
Monthly news of environmental issues affecting Indigenous Peoples
Vol. 1, Issue 5, April 2020
1. Opening Remarks- Health Management and Protection responses to COVID-19
Image
The CIEA staff would like to send our readers strength, resiliency, prayers, and good health particularly during COVID-19. This month's newsletter will provide some health management and protection guides to assist navigating through COVID-19. We begin with Jade Begay's (Diné and Tesuque Pueblo) article, "DECOLONIZING COMMUNITY CARE IN RESPONSE TO COVID-19."

The CIEA office is physically closed until April 7 as part of the ‘shelter in place’ directive but we are working remotely, which means we are checking emails and will be checking our phone messages and returning calls.

We do want to take the time to continue to love, protect, cherish, and care for one another, especially our elders and folxs who are immunocompromised. For a more information about Jade Begay's article, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to NDN Collective where the article is housed.

Again, we are so happy to be able to provide folxs with monthly announcements about training, capacity building, Tribal Self-Advocacy and funding opportunities, as well as water related news. Readers are more than welcome to send information about upcoming events, training, or news that you think would be beneficial for other Tribal members in other regions to know to our Communications and Public Relations Coordinator, Joel Sedano at [log in to unmask],.
READ MORE
2. Action Item- Public Comments on Proposed Delta Conveyance due Friday, March 20, 2020 at 5PM
Image
Public comments on the proposed 7000 cfs Delta Conveyance are due Friday. Writing comments is a great thing to do while #socialdistancing or as a #kidsactivity.

Hundreds went to the hearings, if we all shared and tagged 5-10 friends we could get thousands of comments.

Comment can be submitted via email at [log in to unmask] or mail at P.O. Box 942836, Sacramento, CA 94236.

Talking points are at californiasalmon.org, link in our read more button below. Folxs can also sign this petition http://chng.it/bkvzRjqWhR to show their support against the Delta Conveyance.
#resist #fishneedwater #noDeltaTunnel #californiasalmon
READ MORE
3. Recommended Reading- "Coronavirus Q&A: What is it? The symptoms. And how it spreads"
Image
Indian Country Today provides answers, information, and sources to any questions folxs might have during this time. Please take the opportunity to read about this novel infection rather than receiving mass media information that could potentially cause fear, stress, and/or anxiety. For the article, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to Indian Country Today where the article is being housed.
READ MORE
4. Recommended Reading- Social Distancing post
Image
We need you to take this seriously. Our elderly need you to take this seriously. Our vulnerable need you to take this seriously. Our health care workers and health care system need you to take this seriously.

Your perceived risk of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) might be low... and yes it's likely if you do contract the illness it will be asymptomatic or mild. What you NEED to understand is that asymptomatic and mild cases still spread this disease. PLEASE limit travel, practice social distancing, and do your part to #FlattenTheCurve.
5. Recommended Reading- "Resilience is in Our Blood: An Herbal Guide to Collective Protection and Healing During COVID-19"
Image
Herbal Guide to Collective Protection and Healing During COVID-19 with you.

This was developed for the Sitting Bull College community last night by community members, herbalists, and herbalism students. Please feel free to share it.

Linda Black Elk, one of the primary contributors to this guide, has reviewed and approved it. Wóphila tȟáŋka to everyone who contributed!

Also, two additional safety notes from another herbalist who just reviewed our guide: "St John's Wort is a powerful anti-viral and it heavily interacts with a lot of medications, especially but not limited to some anti-depressants. Rue is a powerful abortifacient so people who may be pregnant or wanting to be should avoid it, and it can be toxic in higher doses when taken internally."

#COVID19 #plantmedicine #indigenousresilience #indigenize

***Update 3/15/20:***

Due to high demand for PDFs, it has been uploaded to their website, where you can download it directly by hitting the read more button below. #COVID #indigenousknowledge
READ MORE
6. Recommended Reading- Elderberry Interaction with COVID-19 Instagram post by Pharmacist Donna Mazzola
Image
ELDERBERRY INTERACTION WITH COVID-19
__
While we don't know a lot about COVID-19, some cases develop into acute respiratory distress syndrome or even multiple organ failure
__
The most important mechanism underlying the deterioration of disease is cytokine storm
__
Some therapies that have been tried are IL-6 antibody blockers
__
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
__
If you review the studies that assess the mechanism of action of Elderberry against influenza, a 200 fold rise in IL-6 antibody production has been documented (image can be found through our read more button below).
__
So how does this relate….. If your body already has an increase in IL-6 due to elderberry and then infected with Covid-19, the fear is you can exacerbate the cytokine response and potentiate the lethal effects of this virus
__
Covid-19 is NOT another influenza virus…. While elderberry has proven studies for it's use in prevention against influenza…. This virus is novel and the response is very different
__
Now that I have personally researched this, I will NOT be taking elderberry, and neither should you
__

Links to the studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11399518

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1756464619300313

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/32114747/

Please share this with your friends, followers and family!
READ MORE
7. Recommended Reading- Six Counties "Shelter in Place" post by KQED News
Image
PASS THIS ON: Bay Area counties Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo and Santa Clara, have announced a legal order for residents to shelter in place and leave only for essential needs beginning midnight Tuesday through April 7.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
"There is no need to rush out for food or supplies, as these stores will remain open," says SF mayor London Breed. This comes as a high-scale effort to mediate the spread of the #coronavirus.⁣
8. Recommended Reading- "Traditional Indigenous Kinship Practices at Home: Being Child-Centered During the Pandemic"
Image
Synopsis: "Indigenous based child-rearing in today’s generation resides in watching the restoration of unfaltering kinship in our Indigenous family systems unfold and allowing that to reside in the raising of our children with the knowing of who they are, and where they come from, wildly and unapologetically." For the full article, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the Indigenous Motherhood blog by Anishinaabe blogger and mother Andrea Landry.
READ MORE
"When we connect with our ancestors and put their wisdom into action, we are evolving our collective consciousness. We are transporting the ancient truths of our collective past and birthing them into our future. What we create out of those truths extends the wisdom of all those who have gone before us, and it provides a guide for all those who will follow.” -Sherri Mitchell (Weh'na Ha'mu Kwasset)

If you would like us to share any events or news related to our mission, please do not hesitate to send the information to [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe from the CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL_NCRP list, click the following link:
http://list.ciea-health.org/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?SUBED1=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL_NCRP&A=1