Newsletter

Logo
CIEA Environmental Chronicle
Monthly news of environmental issues affecting Indigenous Peoples
Vol. 1, Issue 8, May/June 2020
1. Opening Remarks- Socially Distant
Image
The CIEA staff would like to send our readers strength, resiliency, prayers, and good health particularly during COVID-19.

The CIEA office is physically closed until May 31st as part of the ‘shelter in place’ directive. However, the CIEA office will continue to remain closed until June 10, so that we can evaluate if there’s any increased cases in the counties where CIEA staff live and work. Of course if the situation changes we will have to adjust our plan. We will continue to work remotely and are available via email and through our phone, where messages are checked daily.

We do want to take the time to continue to love, protect, cherish, and care for one another, especially our elders, folxs who are immunocompromised, as well as our essential workers including medical staff, grocery store workers, etc.

Again, we are so happy to be able to provide you with monthly announcements about training, capacity building, Tribal Self-Advocacy and funding opportunities, as well as water related news. Readers are more than welcome to send information about upcoming events, training, or news that you think would be beneficial for other Tribal members in other regions to know to our Communications and Public Relations Coordinator, Joel Sedano at [log in to unmask]
2. Tribal Community Member COVID-19 Needs Assessment Survey (Sonoma, Mendocino and Lake County)
Image
Tribal Community (Sonoma, Mendocino and Lake County) | Needs Assessment

The California Indian Museum and Cultural Center (CIMCC) would like to support our local tribal community members' needs while we face the COVID-19 pandemic. We recognize that these are difficult times and there are various diverse needs within our community. Please share with us what needs you and your family has so that we can work towards gathering resources to meet those needs.

Even though our physical location is currently closed due to the shelter in place order our county issued, our staff is working remotely to continue to deliver programs. Please reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns regarding resources. At the moment we only have information regarding resource providing agencies to share with community members.

We appreciate you taking the time to complete this survey. The information you provide is confidential and will assist us in connecting you to aid. For questions please contact Christina T. Inong at: [log in to unmask]
READ MORE
3. Grant opportunity- Seventh Generation Fund- Flicker Fund
Image
The Seventh Generation Fund for Indigenous Peoples is dedicated to promoting and maintaining the uniqueness of Native peoples and the sovereignty of tribal Nations.

Their COVID-19 Response Flicker Fund is designed to respond to Indigenous Communities in Times of Crisis.

Rapid Response to Indigenous Communities in Times of Crisis - $5,000 in grant support to Indigenous community generated and led initiatives, supporting:

Basic and urgent health and wellness needs of the most vulnerable with a focus on elders and multi-generational households and families with children under the age of 5 years old

Traditional healing practices and remedies, food systems, and immune support

Historic and cultural teachings, stories, and lifeways that advance traditional
knowledge systems that inform community members on health, healing, and moving
forward

To apply or find more information, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the Seventh Generation Fund website where the Flicker Grant info is housed.
READ MORE
4. Grant Opportunity- Peace First COVID-19 Rapid Response Grants
Image
Dear Peace First community,

As you know, the WHO has declared COVID-19 to be a global pandemic, and has recommended communities take social distancing measures to prevent the spread of the virus. Globally, COVID-19 is more than a public health challenge — it has laid bare the consequences of persistent systemic inequality for all to see, and is threatening our social fabric, mental health, trust in institutions, and the economic security of billions of people.

This is a critical time for all of us to support each other. In this moment of obligation, we have a responsibility to act with care and caution, both towards ourselves and each other. And as a global community, we know that this is a key moment to take action.

That’s why Peace First is launching a rapid response grant process to help young people around the world lead projects that address community impacts of COVID-19, from providing meals to elderly neighbors to launching digital mental health campaigns to support youth feeling isolated. Rapid response grants are open to young people between the ages of 13-25, anywhere in the world, starting today. Learn more and apply here: https://forms.gle/JjxcPdUHMTpCcttR7

Find out how to get involved, and join in by sharing our campaign on social media and within your community using our sample social media posts in our call to action and social media toolkit: https://bit.ly/3977Pf2

Here’s what Peace First is doing to respond to the changing needs of our communities due to response to COVID-19:

We’re convening a global group of youth leaders to design a meaningful, youth-centered campaign in response to COVID-19.
We’re offering mini-grants of up to $250, mentorship, and project support to young people leading initiatives to address secondary effects of COVID-19 in their communities.
Next week, we’re kicking off a series of video calls and webinars to help young people who are feeling isolated connect with youth leaders around the world, share best practices in digital organizing, and co-create projects to respond to COVID-19. Want to get involved? Sign up here to receive updates on call dates and additional opportunities: https://forms.gle/VPFuYC7cWU7hcudU9
Our team is creating a resource list for young people seeking project-planning support, public health information, tips on building community digitally, and ideas to care for mental health while practicing social distancing.
We’re reaching out to parents and educators around the world to provide our digital curriculum to students experiencing disruption in their education.
We’re offering optional extensions of up to 1 month for youth leaders who need to put their projects on hold due to social distancing guidelines. If the crisis continues or worsens, we will offer additional extensions as needed. Our team is in contact with project leaders and working with them closely.
In order to put rapid response funding resources into the hands of young people globally, we need financial support to do so. If you are able, please make a gift at www.peacefirst.org/donate. Please share this information on your social media and to others who can support this important work.

We know that this is a challenging time for many members of our global community, especially young people. Here at Peace First, we are thankful for each of you — for the work that you do to make our communities safer and kinder, for coming together in times of crisis, and for speaking out when you see injustice. If you want to help, and you’re ready to take action, our team is here to support you.

Best,
Peace First Team

P.S. The form for the grant can be found in the read more button below.
READ MORE
5. Funding Opportunity- Emergent Fund
Image
We’ll be using Emergent Fund’s already well-honed rapid response funding infrastructure to support the work of current and prospective grantees as they meet the needs of their communities to address the myriad of needs related to COVID-19. Over the coming weeks, we’ll be gathering resources and quickly moving money to organizations, collectives, and mutual aid projects across the country – the ones that need bailing out the most. We are focusing our grantmaking on organizations that (1) are mobilizing to respond to the impact of COVID-19 on vulnerable communities; (2) are utilizing power-building strategies including but not limited to digital organizing, membership development and outreach, narrative development, direct action; and (3) are led by communities of color. Check back here in the coming months to see revisions and updates to our processes as the pandemic evolves.

Emergent Fund continues to prioritize grassroots organizing and power building in Indigenous communities and communities of color who are facing injustice based on racial, ethnic, religious, and other forms of discrimination.

Our priority is funding the movement-building that will ensure we come out on the other side of this crisis closer to justice — we will not go back. We’re seeing people freed from jail and detention, and we’re expanding conversations about healing and disability justice; affordable childcare; universal sick leave; healthcare for all; living wages for childcare workers; eviction, utility and foreclosure moratoriums; universal emergency shelter; increased resources to Indian Health Services; extensions and expansion of census data collection; and voter protections.

Our focus is funding grantees whose organizing will hold and expand these wins for the long term and lead us toward a powerful vision of what comes next.

If you are applying for COVID-19 specific funding, please indicate that in your proposal. Aside from this addition, our rapid-response application process remains the same.

For more about our criteria and instructions on how to apply, please click the read more button below to be redirected to the Emergent Fund website.
READ MORE
6. Funding Opportunity- CARES Act Federal Funds for Nonprofits
Image
The recent CARES Act stimulus program has made nearly $400 billion in forgivable loans available to small non-profits to help fund payroll and select other expenses for two months. This is referred to as the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP).

Relief funding options include:

Paycheck Protection Program: A forgiveable loan program for small businesses with less than 500 employees, private nonprofit organizations, and 501(c)(19) veterans organizations affected by COVID-19. SBA will forgive loans if all employees are kept on the payroll for 8 weeks and the money is used for payroll, rent, mortgage interest, or utilities.

Economic Injury Disaster Loan Emergency Advance: A loan advance of up to $10,000 that will not need to be repaid. This advance will provide economic relief to small businesses, private nonprofit organizations, and 501(c)(19) veterans organizations that are currently experiencing a temporary loss of revenue

For more information on the CARES Act, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the Independent Sector website where they have answers to any questions readers' might have.
READ MORE
7. Funding Opportunity- The NDN COVID-19 Response Project- NDN Collective
Image
Grants are available to support essential services and relief efforts.
NDN Collective stands in solidarity and in deep relationship with Indigenous communities who are disproportionately affected by the COVID-19 Pandemic — health crisis and other disaster-related events by providing rapid response funding to established, Indigenous-led, community-based organizations and tribes. The NDN COVID-19 Response Project is designed to provide rapid response resources to Indigenous communities bracing from economic impacts, stresses to public services and combating the spread of misinformation; reaching affected communities through organizations and tribal programs delivering urgent, frontline services including immediate relief, resources and gap services. The Grant Request process is designed for ease of use and rapid response. Basic organization and project information is requested.

GRANTS ARE AVAILABLE TO SUPPORT THE FOLLOWING ESSENTIAL SERVICES AND RELIEF EFFORTS

- Medical supplies
- Food delivery
- Youth and / or Elder care
- Educational Access
- Shelter and Housing
- Economic Relief
- Social - Emotional Support
- Cultural, Ceremonial, Spirit-Aligned Support
- Information and Communications — Access to accurate information; Radio/T.V., Internet
READ MORE
8. Funding Opportunity- Potential funding sources for alternatives to IRWM funding
Image
Tribal Government Challenge Planning Grant Program. This program is designed to help Tribes meet the challenges of adopting energy or climate plans that integrate strategies to enhance their communities and create long-term prosperity. As the administering agency for this grant program, SGC will invest in energy-related Tribal climate planning activities that foster the development of sustainable tribal communities. Sustainable tribal communities shall “promote equity, strengthen the economy, protect the environment, and promote healthy, safe communities”4. Planning activities must be consistent with Tribal values and any applicable Tribal, general, or regional plan. Proposals must outline or lay out plans, processes, or practices that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide benefits that increase Tribes’ adaptabilities to climate change.Specific goals for this program are to:•Support planning activities that promote clean energy access and energy efficiency, with a focus on promoting public health, reducing emissions, and supporting climate adaptation and resiliency in Tribal communities. These planning activities can include increasing access to clean transportation and clean energy options, increasing agricultural energy efficiency, increasing energy affordability, increasing energy efficiency in buildings, and planning for climate impacts and risks to energy systems and community members. •Support the State of California’s climate and energy policies through Tribal planning and analysis. Due 5.22, 5 PM. https://www.energy.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2020-03/tgc_Solicitation_Grants_ada.pdf

DOI BOR WaterSMART Grants: Water and Energy Efficiency for FY21 The objective of this FOA is to invite states, Indian tribes, irrigation districts, water districts, and other organizations with water or power delivery authority to leverage their money and resources by cost sharing with Reclamation on projects that seek to conserve and use water more efficiently; increase the production of hydropower; mitigate conflict risk in areas at a high risk of future water conflict; enable farmers to make additional on-farm improvements in the future, including improvements that may be eligible for Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) funding; and accomplish other benefits that contribute to water supply reliability in the western United States.and provide benefits for fish, wildlife, and the environment to mitigate impacts caused by drought. For more information, visit the funding opportunity description. Applications Due September 30. https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=319158

DOI BOR Native American Affairs: Technical Assistance to Tribes for FY21. The objective of this FOA is to invite federally recognized Indian tribes and tribal organizations to submit proposals for financial assistance for projects and activities that develop, manage, and protect tribal water and related resources. Through this FOA, Reclamation provides funding for projects that increase water reliability consistent with sections 3 and 4 of the October 19, 2018, Presidential Memorandum on Promoting the Reliable Supply and Delivery of Water in the West. For more information, visit the funding opportunity description. Due October 28.

WaterSMART Grants: Water and Energy Efficiency Grants for Fiscal Years 2020 and 2021. The objective of this FOA is to invite states, Indian tribes, irrigation districts, water districts, and other organizations with water or power delivery authority to leverage their money and resources by cost sharing with Reclamation on projects that seek to conserve and use water more efficiently; increase the production of hydropower; mitigate conflict risk in areas at a high risk of future water conflict; enable farmers to make additional on-farm improvements in the future, including improvements that may be eligible for Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) funding; and accomplish other benefits that contribute to water supply reliability in the western United States. Applications due December 19. https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=319158

No-Cost Technical Assistance Opportunities. The DOE Office of Indian Energy provides federally recognized Indian tribes, including Alaska Native villages, tribal energy resource development organizations, and other organized tribal groups and communities, with technical assistance to advance tribal energy projects at no cost. Technical experts from DOE and its national laboratories, along with other partnering organizations, provide support to assist Indian tribes and Alaska Native villages with energy planning, housing and building energy efficiency, project development, policy and regulation, resilience, and village power. For more information, visit the on-request technical assistance description.

Emergency Community Water Assistance Grants. This program helps eligible communities prepare for, or recover from, an emergency that threatens the availability of safe, reliable drinking water for households and businesses. Areas that may be served include: Rural areas and towns with 10,000 or fewer people--check eligible addresses, Tribal Lands in rural areas. Partnerships with other federal, state, local, private and NGOs are encouraged. Applications for this program are accepted through your local Rural Development Office year-round. http://www.rd.usda.gov/programs-services/emergency-community-water-assistance-grants

The area to be served must also have a median household income less-than the state's median household income for non-metropolitan areas--contact your local RD office for details. Funds may be used for:

Water transmission line grants up to $150,000 are for construction of waterline extensions, repairs to breaks or leaks in existing water distribution lines, and related maintenance necessary to replenish water supply
Water Source grants up to $500,000 are for construction of a new water source, intake and/or treatment facility

California Water Boards has released a Notice of Funding Availability for Interim Emergency Drinking Water. Public Agencies, Not-for-Profit Water Districts, Not-for-Profit Organizations, and Tribal Governments can apply for interim replacement drinking water for economically disadvantaged communities with contaminated water supplies. http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/grants_loans/caa/dw_droughtfund/index.shtml

The USDA provides loans and grants to develop water and waste disposal systems in rural areas and towns with a population not in excess of 10,000. The funds are available to public bodies, non-profit corporations and Indian tribes. Applications are accepted at any time through the Rural Development State and Area Offices. http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/UWP-dispdirectloansgrants.htm. To locate an office near you go to http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/recd_map.html

NREL Decision Support for Tribes. NREL's State, Local, and Tribal program partners with Native American tribes and Alaska Native villages, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), and other federal agencies, nonprofits, and intertribal organizations to provide resources and direct assistance that support energy technology delivery and connect motivated tribal governments with NREL's world-class science and analytics. Energy Decision Support: To connect tribes with credible, timely, and actionable scientific information on which to base their energy decisions, NREL provides the following tailored programs:

Technology and market analytics
Direct technical assistance
Capacity building
Resilience assessment and planning

For more information, visit the technical assistance description.

Tribal Online Training Opportunities

The following self-paced, online courses are currently available through Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals:

Residential Building Science Review
Building Performance: Improving IAQ in Cold Climates
Quality Assurance Fundamentals / QAPP Series
Radon Fundamentals
Emissions Inventory Fundamentals / Advanced
Tribal Data Toolbox Version 3.1
Partnerships and Community Outreach
Tribal Strategic Planning: Ensuring Successful Development of Your ETEP
These online courses contain assignments, quizzes, videos, examples, downloadable spreadsheets, and other resources. While they are self-paced, each course provides the opportunity for individual interaction with subject matter experts.

See www.nau.edu/itep/elearning for details or email [log in to unmask] with questions.

Thanks,
Katherine
9. Webinar Meeting- National Congress of American Indians-2020 Census Roundtable Discussion: Held May 26 at 1:00 p.m. EDT
Image
Please join us on Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 1 p.m. EDT for a virtual town hall discussion with U.S. Census Bureau Tribal Affairs Coordinator Dee Alexander and her team regarding important, tribally relevant updates to the 2020 Census operational timeline and how tribal nations can ensure a fair and accurate count in the 2020 Census.

Prior to the event, NCAI’s Civic Engagement team will be collecting your census-related questions from across Indian Country to be answered on-air by our U.S. Census Bureau panelists. Please submit your questions via this survey link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSemaBVc7ZgkNfjUIySTeSl8usYH-fEeohrEJzBJLVLLn5cxIQ/viewform

Please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the NCAI site to register for the event.
READ MORE
10. Webinar Rally- National Congress of American Indians- Native Vote Taking Action in 2020 Rally: Held May 28, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. EDT
Image
Last year, NCAI and the Native Vote campaign helped make history by co-hosting the first-ever Native American Presidential Candidate Forum. Now we’re looking to continue the momentum and kickoff this year’s election cycle strong by launching our Native Vote 2020 efforts with a high-energy, fun Native Vote Rally!

Join NCAI’s Civic Engagement Team as we hear from Native Vote Coordinators from across Indian Country, chat with special guests, and watch our world premiere of our first promotional videos for Native Vote 2020!

Topics to include: What is Civic Engagement?; What is Native Vote?; Why does the Native Vote Matter?; Native Representation Matters: Running For Office; Updates on the 2020 Native Vote Landscape; Native Vote Coordinators Across Indian Country; How to Become a Native Vote Coordinator

BACKGROUND ON NATIVE VOTE:
Native Vote is a nonpartisan campaign initiated by the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI). It is designed to encourage American Indian and Alaska Native people to exercise their right to vote. With the heightened political participation of Native people, Indian Country has become an increasingly powerful voting bloc. In recent years, the Native vote has been publicly acknowledged as making a pivotal difference in national, state, and local elections.

Follow the rally live through NCAI's Facebook page, which can be reached through the read more button below.
READ MORE
11. Funding Opportunity-Tribal Government Challenge Planning Grant Program: Due Date-June 2, 2020 at 5PM
Image
Funded by the California Energy Commission (CEC) and administered by the California Strategic Growth Council (SGC), the Tribal Government Challenge Planning Grant Program will provide funds for California Tribes to conduct planning to identify solutions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve clean energy access, and advance climate adaptation and resiliency on Tribal lands and in Tribal communities.

The goals of this program are to:

-Support planning activities that promote clean energy access and energy efficiency, with a focus on promoting public health, reducing emissions, and supporting climate adaptation and resiliency in Tribal communities. These planning activities can include:
-increasing access to clean transportation and clean energy options,
-increasing agricultural energy efficiency,
-increasing energy affordability,
-increasing energy efficiency in buildings, and planning for climate impacts and risks to energy systems and community members.
-Support the State of California’s climate and energy policies through Tribal planning and analysis.

Please hit the read more button to be redirected to California Strategic Growth Council, where more information can be provided.
READ MORE
12. Online Conference- Cal EPA/CNRA "On Line Environmental Engagement Conference: June 2-4, 2020
Image
All are welcome to participate in this online event.

Your eventbrite registration is part 1 of 2. Stay tuned for an email with the full program and the chance to sign up for sessions.

Sessions will cover . . .

Using digital engagement tools to plan and participate in online meetings
How organizations are adapting engagement practices during the COVID-19 crisis
What it all means for equity and environmental justice
No need to attend every session, just the ones you are interested in.

Spanish and other language interpretation will be available.

All sessions will be closed captioned via webcast in English and Spanish.

To register, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the event page where the registration info is located.
READ MORE
13. Online Training Opportunities- Free Online Drinking Water Workshops
Image
1. Operation and Maintenance Series - Maintaining Water Quality
June 2, 2020 | Online
Part 1: 10am - 12pm | Register Here
Part 2: 2pm - 4pm | Register Here

2. Water Quality Sampling
June 3, 2020 | Online
Part 1: 10am - 12pm | Register Here
Part 2: 2pm - 4pm | Register Here

3. Basic Financial Management for Boards, Operators and Managers
June 11, 2020 | Online
10am - 12pm | Register Here

4. Board Roles and Responsibilities
June 12, 2020 | Online
10am - 12pm | Register Here

5. How to Prepare for Sanitary Surveys
June 17, 2020 | Online
2pm - 4pm | Register Here

6. Level 1 Assessment Performance and Reporting
June 18, 2020 | Online
10am - 12pm | Register Here

For registration information, contact:
Training Department
(916) 447-9832 ext 1429

Sponsored by - State Water Resources Control Board
and Rural Community Assistance Corporation.

To register for any of the online training, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to RCAC's website, where registration can be found.

READ MORE
14. Online Conference- Capitol Hill Ocean Week- Held on June 9, 2020from 9AM-6PM EDT
Image
On June 9th, 2020, the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation will host a virtual Capitol Hill Ocean Week (CHOW).

CHOW creates a space for attendees to interact with peers and opinion leaders to advance conservation and public policy goals for our ocean and Great Lakes. Past speakers, invited guests and attendees include Members of Congress and staff, Administration officials, local and state government representatives, business executives, military officials, academic luminaries, and leaders in the nonprofit sector.

CHOW 2020 will focus on the global issue of protecting biodiversity. The breadth of life in our ocean and Great Lakes is astounding. Building a sustainable global economy that protects nature is critical to people’s health and well-being.

This year, due to the additional costs of opening up this experience as a virtual conference, we are asking you to make a tax-deductible donation as part of your registration. We have always taken pride in keeping CHOW a free event to be able to include all audiences, so your donation will help expand CHOW's reach and ensure we can continue the important work of protecting the wonders of our national marine sanctuaries and marine national monuments.

Visit capitolhilloceanweek.org for more information and to register please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the registration page.
READ MORE
15. Funding Opportunity- California Fire Safe Council Competitive Grants: Due Date June 18, 2020
Image
California Fire Safe Council (CFSC) is pleased to announce its competitive application process for 2020 State Fire Assistance (SFA) wildfire prevention grants. Funding is provided through a master grant to CFSC by the U.S. Forest Service to administer the Grants Clearinghouse program, with CFSC issuing subawards to successful applicants to support fire risk reduction activities by landowners in at‐risk communities to restore and maintain resilient landscapes and create fire adapted communities. Funds should be utilized for hazard mitigation competitive grants in the following categories:

Hazardous fuels reduction and maintenance projects on non‐federal land
Community Wildfire Protection Plans (CWPP) and other community hazard mitigation and planning
Prevention and mitigation education and outreach opportunities for landowners and residents in at‐risk communities
Funding, Cost Share Requirement and Duration:

CFSC has approximately $1.4 million available for 2020 SFA wildfire prevention projects.

The mandatory cost share is 100%. Federal funding can account for up to 50% of the project’s cost and the remaining 50% must come from non‐federal sources and can include cash and/or third‐party in‐kind. For example, a $200,000 grant request will need to be matched with $200,000 or more from the applicant and partners.

REGISTER FOR A WEBINAR TO GET ALL THE INFORMATION ON THE GRANT PROGRAM.

May 19, 2020 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
May 21, 2020 1- 3 p.m.

Registration link:
https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=XQNGfJHrVEiPGOenNmmsD8kp-ZhY_yhKlXMZZbP7L2hURVAyUFFOU1MzOU1HSklXNUlYSjJFWk82WC4u

For more information, please hit the read more button to be redirected to the California Fire Safe Council website.
READ MORE
16. Funding Opportunity- Storm Water Grant Program (SWGP) - Proposition 1 (Prop 1): Due Date- July 2, 2020
Image
Eligible Applicants: Public agencies, nonprofit organizations, public utilities, federally recognized Indian tribes, state Indian tribes listed on Native American Heritage Commission's California Tribal Consultation List, and mutual water companies.

Eligible Project Types: Planning - Development of Storm Water Resource Plans (SWRPs) that meet the requirements of Water Code section 10562 and the SWRP Guidelines, and project-specific planning projects. Applications for SWRPs and project-specific planning projects were only solicited for Round 1.
Implementation - Multi-benefit storm water management projects which may include, but shall not be limited to, green infrastructure, rainwater and storm water capture projects and storm water treatment facilities.

Funding Available: Planning Grants: ~$10 million awarded
Round 1 Implementation Grants: ~$80 million awarded
Round 2 Implementation Grants: ~$100 million available

Funding Source: Proposition 1

Loans or Grants: Grants

Application Solicitation Period: Planning and Implementation Round 1: CLOSED
Implementation Round 2 Opens: April 2020
Implementation Round 2 Closes: July 2, 2020

For the Program Guidelines, as listed below, please hit the read more button the be redirected to the State Water Resources Control Board website:
Storm Water Resource Plan Guidelines (adopted on December 15, 2015 - Resolution No. 2015-0077)
Appendix A: Checklist and Self-Certification (Word Document)
Appendix B: Useful Web Links
Round 1: Storm Water Grant Program Guidelines (adopted on December 15, 2015 - Resolution No. 2015-0076)
Round 2: Storm Water Grant Program Guidelines (adopted on October 16, 2019).
READ MORE
17. Funding Opportunity-Tribal Wildlife Grants Program: Due Date- July 6, 2020
Image
Provide a competitive funding opportunity for Federally recognized Tribal governments to develop and implement programs for the benefit of wildlife and their habitat, including species of Native American cultural or traditional importance and species that are not hunted or fished.

Tribal Wildlife Grants are used to provide technical and financial assistance to Tribes for the development and implementation of programs that benefit fish and wildlife resources and their habitat. Activities may include, but are not limited to: planning for wildlife and habitat conservation, fish and wildlife conservation and management actions, fish and wildlife related laboratory and field research, natural history studies, habitat mapping, field surveys and population monitoring, habitat preservation, and public education that is relevant to the project. The funds may be used for salaries, equipment, consultant services, subcontracts, acquisitions (e.g., project materials, goods and services) and travel. Land acquisitions are not allowed

For more information, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service website where the grant info is housed.
READ MORE
18. Funding Opportunity- The Department of Conservation Sustainable Groundwater Management (SGMA) Watershed Coordinator Grant: Due Date- July 30, 2020
Image
California's watershed systems play a critical role in delivering vital water suppli​es throughout the state. Because watersheds vary greatly across different geographies of the state, regionally tailored watershed management efforts are necessary for success. Watershed coordinators play an important role increasing watershed health. ​​​​​

A watershed coordinator is a position that the state funds for a local government or non-profit to work with local stakeholders and downstream beneficiaries. The purpose is to develop plans and projects to improve watershed health, and to achieve state and local natural resources goals. Their work is centered around the ability to leverage local relationships and understandings, to build broad and trusting coalitions across a watershed and to cultivate a shared vision of progress. Key state policy goals that watershed coordinators help to ​achieve include:

Water Supply and Quality​​​​​
Outdoor Access
Forest Health and Fire Prevention
Carbon Sequestration
Biodiversity and Species Recovery
Environmental Education
Biodiversity
Climate Resiliency

For more information, please hit the read more button to be redirected to the Department of Conservation website.
READ MORE
19. Recommended Reading- Concentrations of pesticides in sediment in 82 streams and in biofilms in 54 streams in California in 2017
Image

To read the article in its entirety, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the USGS website where the article is housed.
READ MORE
20. Recommended Reading- NIEHS Awards Admin Supplement to CEC for Fish Consumption Research
Image
The NIEHS Superfund Research Program has awarded an administrative supplement to the Community Engagement and Analytical Chemistry Cores to conduct testing of fish tissue and carry out passive sampling of water at popular fishing spots in the Cape Fear River basin of southeastern North Carolina.

The results of a recently completed bankside intercept survey with subsistence fish consumers (carried out by Duke graduate students Martin Dietz and Steven Yang) will inform the research and sampling design for this phase of the project. Dr. Mozhgon Rajaee, former Duke visiting professor from Oakland University who focuses on environmental health issues through a justice lens, will act as a consultant and advisor on the project and will be helping with research design, data analysis, and report back.

The project will consist of several phases. First, the Superfund CEC and ACC will conduct passive sampling at 5-6 popular fishing spots in the Cape Fear River basin, as identified through the bankside intercept survey with fishermen and through key actor interviews with community partners. Passive sampling helps us understand contaminant flows in dynamic systems like rivers using material that mimics the way biological tissues take up certain contaminants from the environment. Abigail Joyce, Lab Manager for the Analytical Chemistry Core, will deploy the passive samplers to analyze for PCBs, PAHs, and dioxins in water at popular fishing spots.

Next, the CEC plans to collect fish tissue samples from fish people like to eat in the area and analyze these samples for arsenic, mercury, and hexavalent chromium. These contaminants appear on some local fish consumption advisories and have been previously detected in fish near the Cape Fear River.

Finally, the CEC will report back to local health agencies in the area and assist health and wildlife officials interpret the health implications of the test results to inform the public about the levels of contaminants detected in various fish, and the health implications of these new data.

Throughout the project, the CEC plans to collaborate with researchers at NC State University including Theresa Guillette, Scott Belcher, Katy May, and Madi Polera to gather information on PFAS in water and fish tissue samples.

To read more information and the links to this reading, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the Duke University Superfund Research Center website where the article is housed.
READ MORE
21. Recommended Reading- Size and shape matter: A preliminary analysis of microplastic sampling technique in seawater studies with implications for ecological risk assessment.
Image
Abstract:
Microplastic particles (MPs) are widely distributed in seawater. Fibrous MPs (microfibres) are often reported as the most commonly encountered shape of particle. To estimate MP concentrations in seawater, samples are often collected using towed nets (generally 300-350-μm mesh) and may underestimate the amount of microfibres present, which may pass through the mesh due to their narrow width. We compared the potential microplastic particle (PMP) concentration estimates provided by two different seawater sampling methods conducted at three commercial shellfish farms and three unfarmed sites in Baynes Sound, British Columbia, Canada. The methods were: 10-L bucket samples sieved through 63-μm mesh in situ and subsequently filtered through an 8-μm polycarbonate membrane; and 1-L bulk samples collected in jars and subsequently filtered to 8 μm. The jar samples yielded PMP concentrations averaging approximately 8.5 times higher than the bucket samples per L of water (at the site level), largely driven by differences in the number of microfibres. There was no significant difference in PNP concentration between shellfish farms and unfarmed sites. An analysis of MP concentrations and mesh sizes reported in the literature suggests that using a 300-350-μm mesh may underestimate total MP concentrations by one to four orders of magnitude compared with samples that are filtered through much smaller mesh sizes (e.g. <100 μm), despite the effect of sample volume. Particles <300 μm in diameter make up a large component of MPs commonly found in fish and invertebrates. As such, common sampling practices fail to adequately measure a biologically relevant class of MPs, thereby undermining the ability to quantify ecological risk. We suggest that seawater sampling methods be designed to filter to <10 μm (the approximate width of many microfibres), either using pressurized pumps for large-volume samples, or by using sufficient replication of small-volume discrete samples.

To view the article in its entirety, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the Science of the Total Environment website.
READ MORE
22. Recommended Reading- Effects of ingested polystyrene microplastics on brine shrimp, Artemia parthenogenetica.
Image
Abstract:
Microplastics are a contaminant of emerging concern which enter the marine environment from a variety of sources. The ingestion and toxic effects of microplastics on marine life, especially for filter feeders, are a cause of concern in view of their ubiquitous nature and their similar size as food sources. To assess the toxic effects of microspheres ingested by brine shrimp larvae, we exposed Artemia parthenogenetica to 10 μm polystyrene microspheres at different concentrations. These concentrations were approximate to the extrapolated marine aquatic environmentally relevant concentrations. The lowest polystyrene concentrations at which ingestion was visualized in A. parthenogenetica were 12 ± 0.57 particles/mL (6.7 ± 0.32 μg/L) and 1.1 ± 0.16 particles/mL (0.61 ± 0.088 μg/L), respectively. There were no significant impacts on the survival, growth or development in A. parthenogenetica occurring over the 14-d exposure across a range of polystyrene nominal concentrations (1-1000 particles/mL or 0.55-550 μg/L). However, abnormal ultrastructures of intestinal epithelial cells were observed upon exposure to polystyrene microspheres, including fewer and disordered microvilli, an increased number of mitochondrion and the appearance of autophagosome. These phenomena could affect nutrition absorption and energy metabolism. Although no major acute or chronic toxicity effects on A. parthenogenetica were observed over 24-h or 14-d exposures, this study provides evidence that the ingestion of polystyrene microplastics at extrapolated environmentally relevant concentrations can be visualized through a microscope to be causing a series of responses in intestinal epithelial cells.

To view the article in its entirety, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the Environmental Pollution website.
READ MORE
23. Recommended Reading- Endocrine disrupting chemicals in wild freshwater fishes: Species, tissues, sizes and human health risks.
Image
Abstract:
Increasing attention has been devoted to the adverse effects of endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) on aquatic environments, such as water, sediment and sludge. To date, few studies have investigated the bio-accumulative characteristics of EDCs in different tissues of diverse wild freshwater fish species and their combined impacts on human health. Five EDCs were investigated in the muscle, liver, gill and, especially, gonad of three fish species collected from the Xiangjiang River, southern China. Carnivorous Siniperca Chuatsi or omnivorous Cyprinus Carpio accumulated higher contents of bisphenol A (BPA) and estrone than herbivorous Parabramis Pekinensis in muscle. Furthermore, 4-n-nonylphenol and estrone were found at higher levels and more frequently in the liver, implying that the liver played an important role in basic metabolism for accumulation, biotransformation and excretion of EDCs. Highest concentrations of BPA found in the gonad revealed that the BPA may pose a serious threat to the reproductive system of aquatic organisms. The mean liver/muscle concentration ratios of 4-n-nonylphenol, BPA, estrone and 17α-ethynyl estradiol confirmed the prolonged exposure of the fish to these EDCs. In addition, the relationships between the fish sizes and the EDC concentrations analyzed by Pearson correlation analysis implied that the bioaccumulation of diethylstilbestrol and BPA increased with the growth of Parabramis Pekinensis, and there was a balance between the uptake rate and elimination rate of EDCs in Siniperca Chuatsi and Cyprinus Carpio. Most importantly, the cumulative impacts of combined EDCs on human health by fish consumption were evaluated. The total estradiol equivalent quantity of estrogens was higher than that of phenols. Also, based on the results of the Monte-Carlo simulation, the 95th percentile values of the total estimated daily intakes from consuming the three freshwater fish species from the Xiangjiang River were higher than the acceptable daily intake.

To view the article in its entirety, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the Environmental Pollution website.
READ MORE
24. Assessing the Impact of COVID-19 on American Indian K-12 Students in California
Image
Survey for Parents, Legal Guardians, and Families of California American Indian K-12 students.

The California Indian Culture and Sovereignty Center (CICSC), the California Indian Museum and Cultural Center in partnership with the San Diego County Office of Education (SDCOE) would like to support our American Indian students by assessing their academic needs during the COVID-19 pandemic. We have prepared this survey to assess the impact of COVID-19 on our American Indian students and their families. Your responses are critical during this time. We will share this data with educational leaders, tribal leaders, public health experts, policy makers, and advocacy groups to help us support American Indian students and their families navigate through these challenging times.

Your participation in this research study is voluntary.

The procedure involves filling out an online survey that will take approximately 15 minutes. Your responses will be confidential and we do not collect identifying information such as your name, email address or IP address.

If you have any questions or research-related problems, you may reach Dr. Proudfit at (760) 750-4619.

Please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the survey.
READ MORE
“We’re fighting for soil, land, food, trees, water, birds. We’re fighting for life.” -José Gregorio Diáz Mirabel (Wakuenai Kurripaco)

If you would like us to share any events or news related to our mission, please do not hesitate to send the information to [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe from the CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL_NCRP list, click the following link:
http://list.ciea-health.org/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?SUBED1=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL_NCRP&A=1