View in Browser:
http://list.ciea-health.org/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?A2=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL_NCRP;4b68a273.2006p

######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #########

CIEA Environmental Chronicle - Vol. 1, Issue 9, July 2020

Monthly news of environmental issues affecting Indigenous Peoples

######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #########

1. Opening Remarks- Black Lives Matter

Our hearts are heavy during these difficult times not only adjusting to life during a pandemic but also the injustices faced by our Black relatives. As communities across Turtle Island organize to denounce police brutality, a symptom of settler colonialism and white supremacy, CIEA stands in solidarity with our Black relatives. Black, Brown, Indigenous, and LGBTQIA2s+ communities have suffered under the watchful eye of law enforcement, who have served as a tool to reinforce systems of racial inequality within our country.

We must do our part within the larger conversation and demand accountability as well as change. CIEA would like to take the time to offer space and a moment of silence for our Black relatives who were taken so soon from us.

We stand in true solidarity with our Black relatives and communities and commit to anti-racist work. CIEA would like to use our platform to denounce anti-blackness and colorism that our own Indigenous nations and communities have been complicit in. To our Afro-Indigenous relatives and community members, CIEA recognizes, honors, and celebrates you.

CIEA for Black Liberation and Indigenous Sovereignty!

The CIEA office is physically closed until June 30th as part of the ‘shelter in place’ directive. Of course if the situation changes we will have to adjust our plan. We will continue to work remotely and are available via email and through our phone, our messages are checked daily.

Again, we are so happy to be able to provide you with monthly announcements about training, capacity building, Tribal Self-Advocacy and funding opportunities, as well as water related news. Readers are more than welcome to send information about upcoming events, training, or news that you think would be beneficial for other Tribal members in other regions to know to our Communications and Public Relations Coordinator, Joel Sedano at [log in to unmask]

2. Funding Opportunity- Storm Water Grant Program (SWGP) - Proposition 1 (Prop 1): Due Date- July 2, 2020

Eligible Applicants: Public agencies, nonprofit organizations, public utilities, federally recognized Indian tribes, state Indian tribes listed on Native American Heritage Commission's California Tribal Consultation List, and mutual water companies.

Eligible Project Types: Planning - Development of Storm Water Resource Plans (SWRPs) that meet the requirements of Water Code section 10562 and the SWRP Guidelines, and project-specific planning projects. Applications for SWRPs and project-specific planning projects were only solicited for Round 1.
Implementation - Multi-benefit storm water management projects which may include, but shall not be limited to, green infrastructure, rainwater and storm water capture projects and storm water treatment facilities.

Funding Available: Planning Grants: ~$10 million awarded
Round 1 Implementation Grants: ~$80 million awarded
Round 2 Implementation Grants: ~$100 million available

Funding Source: Proposition 1

Loans or Grants: Grants

Application Solicitation Period: Planning and Implementation Round 1: CLOSED
Implementation Round 2 Opens: April 2020
Implementation Round 2 Closes: July 2, 2020

For the Program Guidelines, as listed below, please hit the read more button the be redirected to the State Water Resources Control Board website:
Storm Water Resource Plan Guidelines (adopted on December 15, 2015 - Resolution No. 2015-0077)
Appendix A: Checklist and Self-Certification (Word Document)
Appendix B: Useful Web Links
Round 1: Storm Water Grant Program Guidelines (adopted on December 15, 2015 - Resolution No. 2015-0076)
Round 2: Storm Water Grant Program Guidelines (adopted on October 16, 2019).

READ MORE:
https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/grants_loans/swgp/prop1/#announcements

3. Funding Opportunity-Tribal Wildlife Grants Program: Due Date- July 6, 2020

Provide a competitive funding opportunity for Federally recognized Tribal governments to develop and implement programs for the benefit of wildlife and their habitat, including species of Native American cultural or traditional importance and species that are not hunted or fished.

Tribal Wildlife Grants are used to provide technical and financial assistance to Tribes for the development and implementation of programs that benefit fish and wildlife resources and their habitat. Activities may include, but are not limited to: planning for wildlife and habitat conservation, fish and wildlife conservation and management actions, fish and wildlife related laboratory and field research, natural history studies, habitat mapping, field surveys and population monitoring, habitat preservation, and public education that is relevant to the project. The funds may be used for salaries, equipment, consultant services, subcontracts, acquisitions (e.g., project materials, goods and services) and travel. Land acquisitions are not allowed

For more information, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service website where the grant info is housed.

READ MORE:
https://www.fws.gov/nativeamerican/grants.html

4. Funding Opportunity- WaterSMART Drought Response Program: Drought Resiliency Projects for Fiscal Years 2020 and 2021: Due Date- July 8, 2020

The U.S. Department of the Interior’s (Department) WaterSMART (Sustain and Manage America’s Resources for Tomorrow) Program provides a framework for Federal leadership and assistance to stretch and secure water supplies for future generations in support of the Department’s priorities. Through WaterSMART, the Bureau of Reclamation (Reclamation) leverages Federal and non-Federal funding to work cooperatively with states, tribes, and local entities as they plan for and implement actions to increase water supply reliability through investments in existing infrastructure and attention to local water conflicts. WaterSMART provides support for the Department’s priorities, including creating a legacy of conservation stewardship, sustainably developing our energy and natural resources, modernizing our infrastructure through public-private partnerships, striking a regulatory balance, and restoring trust with local communities by improving relationships and communication with states, tribes, local governments, communities, landowners and water users.

The WaterSMART Drought Response Program supports a proactive approach to drought by providing financial assistance to water managers to develop and update comprehensive drought plans (Drought Contingency Planning) and implement projects that will build long-term resilience to drought
(Drought Resiliency Projects).

This FOA supports Drought Resiliency Projects that will build long-term resilience to drought and reduce the need for emergency response actions. These projects are generally in the final design stage, environmental and cultural resources compliance may have been initiated, and the non-Federal funding, necessary permits, and other required approvals have been secured.
Through this FOA, Reclamation provides funding for projects that improve forecasts of water availability and improve use of technology to increase water reliability consistent with sections 3 and 4 of the October 19, 2018, Presidential Memorandum on Promoting the Reliable Supply and Delivery of Water in the West.

For further information on the Drought Response Program, please see www.usbr.gov/drought.

For further information on the WaterSMART Program, please see www.usbr.gov/WaterSMART.

Hit the read more button below to be redirected to the Grants.Gov website to apply and find more information.

READ MORE:
https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=326703

5. Training Opportunity- RCAC- Wastewater Operator Math- Online- July 8, 2020- 10AM-12PM

One of many skills needed by water distribution operators includes the ability to perform water math problems. This includes volume, pressure, chlorine dosage and pipe velocity. This online workshop will help the distribution operator master these formulas while utilizing the conversion sheet that is provided for the exam.

Participants attending this workshop will learn:
• Volumes
• Pressure
• Chlorine dosage
• Pipe velocity

The recommended audience includes water system operators, maintenance staff, managers and anyone who needs to use water works math routinely in their daily functions at a water treatment facility.

This workshop qualifies for 2 CA drinking water contact hours.
When: July 8, 2020 • 10:00 am–12:00 pm
Register: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2179

 Questions?
For registration questions, contact:
[log in to unmask] • (916) 447-9832 ext. 1429
For more information regarding workshop content, contact:
John Hamner at [log in to unmask]

To view the flyer, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to a larger image of the flyer.

READ MORE:
http://www.ciea-health.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/070820-Drinking-Water-Operator-Math-Flyer.pdf

6. Training Opportunity- RCAC- Drinking Water Operator Math- Online- July 8, 2020- 2-4PM

This module will cover the basics of wastewater treatment math. This treat- ment math workshop will focus on the formulas provided in the math conver- sion sheets that are provided with the certification exams.

In this workshop, we will cover:
• preliminary treatment
• primary treatment
• secondary treatment
• wastewater pond math
• sludge handling
• disinfection math processes

This workshop qualifies for 2 CA wastewater contact hours.
When: July 8, 2020 • 2:00 pm–4:00 pm
Register: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2180

 Questions?
For registration questions, contact:
[log in to unmask] • (916) 447-9832 ext. 1429
For more information regarding workshop content, contact:
John Hamner at [log in to unmask]

To view the flyer, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to a larger image of the flyer.

READ MORE:
http://www.ciea-health.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/070820-Wastewater-Operator-Math-Flyer.pdf

7. Funding Opportunity- North American Wetlands Conservation Act (Act) Grants Program: Due Date- July 10, 2020

Funds projects that increase bird populations and wetland habitat, while supporting local economies and American traditions, such as hunting, fishing, birdwatching, family farming and cattle ranching.

For more information please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the Fish and Wildlife website where the grant info is housed.

READ MORE:
https://www.fws.gov/birds/grants/north-american-wetland-conservation-act.php

8. Tribal Consultation Opportunity- US EPA’s Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) Program announcement on its 45-day public comment period on the Systematic Review Protocol for the Methylmercury IRIS Assessment process.  Deadline is Monday, July 13, 2020

In May 2020, EPA released the Systematic Review Protocol for the Methylmercury IRIS Assessment (Preliminary Assessment Materials). As part of developing a draft IRIS assessment, EPA presents a methods document, referred to as the protocol, for conducting a chemical-specific systematic review of the available scientific literature. Protocols communicate the rationale for conducting the assessment of methylmercury, describe screening criteria to identify relevant literature, outline the approach for evaluating study quality, and describe the dose-response methods.

For more information please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the EPA website.

READ MORE:
https://www.epa.gov/iris

9. Training Opportunity- Registration Open for Native Voices Rising Grant Writing Webinar on July 14, 2020

Webinar 3

Grant Writing Essentials: Sharing your Story
Tuesday, July 14, 2020,  10:00a - 12:00p PST

The third webinar of this series provides a “big picture” approach to fundraising and walks through essential grant application processes. Presenters will focus on researching and developing grant partners, developing your story or narrative, clarifying priorities, and communicating those with funders. We will share experiences with successful applications, and opportunities to learn from others’ experiences. We will share tips, tools, and strategies for developing a successful LOI (letter of intent), submitting grant applications, and successful proposals. We will hear stories to encourage and support your development of funding relationships.

Confirmed Presenters:
* Hester Dillon, Program Officer at NoVo Foundation
* Lindsie Bear, Native Cultures Fund Senior Program Director at Humboldt Area Foundation

To register please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the meeting registration site to sign up for the upcoming training.

READ MORE:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcoc2qqTIqE9LnEeTr4sEkt5ebDEjhaLEw

10. Funding Opportunity- The Department of Conservation Sustainable Groundwater Management (SGMA) Watershed Coordinator Grant: Due Date- September 15, 2020

California's watershed systems play a critical role in delivering vital water suppli​es throughout the state. Because watersheds vary greatly across different geographies of the state, regionally tailored watershed management efforts are necessary for success. Watershed coordinators play an important role increasing watershed health. ​​​​​

A watershed coordinator is a position that the state funds for a local government or non-profit to work with local stakeholders and downstream beneficiaries. The purpose is to develop plans and projects to improve watershed health, and to achieve state and local natural resources goals. Their work is centered around the ability to leverage local relationships and understandings, to build broad and trusting coalitions across a watershed and to cultivate a shared vision of progress. Key state policy goals that watershed coordinators help to ​achieve include:

Water Supply and Quality​​​​​
Outdoor Access
Forest Health and Fire Prevention
Carbon Sequestration
Biodiversity and Species Recovery
Environmental Education
Biodiversity
Climate Resiliency

For more information, please hit the read more button to be redirected to the Department of Conservation website.

READ MORE:
https://www.conservation.ca.gov/dlrp/grant-programs/watershed

11.  Training Opportunity- CalEPA's Basic Inspector Academy

CalEPA’s free online FUNDAMENTAL INSPECTOR TRAINING for environmental inspectors in your enforcement program, now.  It is located at the following link to the California Air Resources Board (CARB) website, but you need to create a login account first.  You must use Chrome or Foxfire for it to work.

 CARB TRAINING WEBSITE: https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/training/training.htm

 This is a prerequisite course prior to you registering for the 3-day FREE BASIC INSPECTOR ACADEMY which is being possibly rescheduled for later this 2020 calendar year or possibly redeveloped into virtual training.

Note following yellow highlighted areas for links and details on the Free Fundamental Inspector Training and Basic Inspector Academy.

Basic Inspector Academy

Enforcement is an essential part of CalEPA’s mission. This is big task, given the number and variability of environmental programs and inspectors across California. So, just how does CalEPA go about ensuring enforcement is consistent and coordinated? Through training, of course! CalEPA has a unique training program that provides enforcement training to environmental inspectors in California. This program is the Basic Inspector Academy (BIA), which is a free, three-day training class open to State, local, and tribal environmental enforcement staff. BIA provides environmental inspectors across California with the core skills necessary to conduct thorough, effective inspections to implement environmental programs, and helps to ensure all environmental agencies take consistent, effective, and coordinated compliance and enforcement actions. Students and instructors are given the unique opportunity to work closely with, and learn from, a wide variety of environmental programs throughout the state. BIA provides students with instruction on key concepts that form the foundation for effective environmental enforcement.

To register, visit arb.ca.gov/training or hit the read more button below to be redirected to the website.

For more information on BIA and its online prerequisite, visit CalEPA's enforcement training resources page, or contact Julia Hooten: [log in to unmask] or (916) 322-6010.

READ MORE:
https://arb.csod.com/client/arb/default.aspx

12. Recommended Reading- "Hands on the land, heart in community: Returning cultural fires"

Brief Synopsis: Fire is a necessary part of California ecosystems; we should follow Indigenous cultural fire practices for healthier, abundant forests and to reverse more than a century of damage.

To see the article in its entirety, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the Environmental Health News website to read the article.

READ MORE:
https://www.ehn.org/indigenous-wildfire-2646171110.html

13. Recommended Reading- "The Need for a Tighter Particulate-Matter Air-Quality Standard"

Opening Paragraph: The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) proposes to retain the current National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) for fine particulate matter (particles with a diameter of ≤2.5 μm [PM2.5]) — that is, levels not exceeding an annual average of 12 μg per cubic meter and a 24-hour average of 35 μg per cubic meter.1 The current NAAQS were set in 2012 on the basis of a scientific review that was largely completed in 2010.2 At that time, available epidemiologic evidence, supported by toxicologic evidence and a risk assessment conducted by EPA staff, indicated that annual exposure to PM2.5 caused premature death at ambient concentrations as low as 11 μg per cubic meter. However, on the basis of more recent evidence, as described below, exposure to ambient PM2.5 at the levels of the current standards is estimated by the EPA to be responsible for tens of thousands of premature deaths in the United States each year.

To see the article in its entirety, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to The New England Journal of Medicine  website to read the article.

READ MORE:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMsb2011009?articleTools=true

“Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents—it was loaned to you by your children.

Unsubscribe:
http://LIST.CIEA-HEALTH.ORG/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?SUBED1=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL_NCRP&A=1

P.O. Box 2128
Berkeley, CA 94702

510-848-2043
http://www.ciea-health.org/

If you would like us to share any events or news related to our mission, please do not hesitate to send the information to [log in to unmask]