Logo
CIEA Environmental Chronicle
Monthly news of environmental issues affecting Indigenous Peoples
Vol. 1, Issue 18 January 2021
1. Opening Remarks- New Year, New World
Image
The CIEA staff would like to send our readers strength, resiliency, prayers, and good health particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic and the occupation and desecration of ancestral lands of Indigenous Peoples across the globe.

The CIEA staff would like to wish our subscribers, our team, and folxs we work closely with a Happy New Year and to remind folxs that you are till valid and way more than "something else." We look forward to continue working with you all in the new year.

Quick reminder that the CIEA office is physically closed until January 31st due to the 'shelter in place' directive. The purpose is so we can evaluate if there’s any increased cases in the counties where CIEA staff live and work. Of course if the situation changes we will have to adjust our plan. We will continue to work remotely and are available via email and through our phone, where messages are checked daily.

We do want to take the time to continue to love, protect, cherish, and care for one another, especially our elders, folxs who are immunocompromised, as well as our essential workers including medical staff, grocery store workers, cultural and site protectors, language reawakeners, etc.

We also advise that folxs to stay safe, be prepared, and that we are here for you all.

Again, we are so happy to be able to provide you with monthly announcements about training, capacity building, Tribal Self-Advocacy and funding opportunities, as well as water related news. Readers are more than welcome to send information about upcoming events, training, or news that you think would be beneficial for other Tribal members in other regions to know to our Communications and Public Relations Coordinator, Joel Sedano at [log in to unmask]
2. Funding Opportunity- Fiscal Year (FY) 2021 Request for Applications from Indian Tribes and
Intertribal Consortia for Nonpoint Source Management Grants Under Clean Water Act Section 319
Image
This Request for Applications (RFA) is issued pursuant to Section 319(h) of the Clean Water Act (CWA), which authorizes EPA to award grants to eligible tribes and intertribal consortia to implement approved NPS management programs developed pursuant to Section 319(b)(1) “for controlling pollution added from nonpoint sources to the navigable waters” and “improving the quality of such waters.” NPS management programs must identify “best management practices and measures which will be undertaken to reduce pollutant loadings resulting from each category, subcategory, or particular nonpoint source” identified in the tribe’s NPS assessment report developed pursuant to Section 319(a).

After allocating Section 319 tribal funds for tribal base grant work plans, EPA allocates the remaining Section 319 tribal funds to eligible entities according to the competitive procedures in this RFA. This competitive funding will support tribal efforts to develop and/or implement watershed-based plans and implement watershed projects that will result in significant steps towards addressing NPS water quality impairments or threats on a watershed-wide basis.

The key dates for this year's competitive grant process are:

Tuesday, January 5, 2021: Deadline for questions from prospective tribal applicants about the FY 2021 Request for Application. You may submit questions to [log in to unmask]

Thursday, January 14, 2021: *Application Deadline.* Applications must be submitted electronically to the EPA through Grants.gov by 11:59pm EST in order to be considered for funding. Late applications will not be considered for funding. Click here to be redirected to the Grants.gov announcement page, where more information. is housed.

April 2021: The EPA anticipates announcing final selections under this competition in April 2021.
READ MORE
3. Funding Opportunity- Prop 68 Sustainable Groundwater Management Implementation Grants for Critically Overdrafted Basins
Image
The FINAL Proposal Solicitation Package for the Department of Water Resources’(DWR) Sustainable Groundwater Management (SGM) Grant Program is now available. Round 1 with $26 million available, is now open to Critically Over Drafted Basins, a second round with $77 million will be open in 2022 to all high and medium priority basins. Solicitation will close on January 8, 2021. The final PSP and application templates can be found by hitting the read more button below.
READ MORE
4. Job Opportunity- California Natural Resources Agency is hiring an Assistant Secretary for Tribal Affairs
Image
The Assistant Secretary for Tribal Affairs will help cultivate and ensure the
participation and inclusion of tribal governments and communities within the work of the California Natural Resources Agency, supporting the effective
integration of these governments’ and communities’ interests in environmental policymaking. This position will advance programs, policies, regulations, and new laws to strengthen these working relationships, and will coordinate tribal affairs across the Agency and with external governments and organizations. The position will further support and expand the Agency’s effort to institutionalize tribal consultation practices into its program planning, development, and implementation decisions.

The Assistant Secretary for Tribal Affairs is appointed by the Governor and will
report to the Agency’s Deputy Secretary for External Affairs. This position will
collaborate closely with the Secretary, Undersecretary and other Agency
executive team members, as well as department directors and members of the Governor’s Office including the Governor’s Tribal Advisor. The Assistant Secretary will lead work that requires a high degree of skill in planning, project management, team leadership, communication, presentation, problem solving, and program evaluation.

Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS

35% External Engagement: Serve as the Agency’s liaison with Tribal
governments and other governmental agencies, as well as community
organizations and the public. Track and coordinate meaningful
consultation and outreach efforts related to the Governor’s Executive
Order B-10-11 and implementation of Assembly Bill (AB) 52. Represent the
Agency at governmental work groups, public outreach forums, and
meetings with stakeholders and the public. Participate in site visits or
meetings about proposed or active Agency projects where Tribal
concerns exist to find mutually beneficial solutions. Support capacity building in Tribal communities to build knowledge and access to Agency
resources.

25% Policy and Program Development: Ensure Agency programs and initiatives fully integrate Tribal engagement and interests and lead an active
process of respectfully seeking, discussing, and considering the views of
California Indian Tribes and Tribal communities. Advise Agency leadership
on policies, programs, budgets, legislative priorities, grants, and strategies
to strengthen partnerships with Tribal governments, tribal communities,
and other governmental agencies, as well as community organizations
and the public. Work with Agency and Departmental leaders to institutionalize full integration of tribal engagement and interests in the
Agency’s decision-making on natural, historic and cultural resources. Assist
the efforts in close collaboration with the Governor’s Tribal Advisor to
develop the new California Indian Heritage Center and related taskforce.

25% Coordination: Lead collaboration across the Agency to serve as the
central point of contact and ensure consistent Tribal and intergovernmental engagement practices in all departments and programs. This includes building a strong agency-wide team of Tribal Liaisons that can identify challenges and opportunities that requires the Assistant Secretary’s intervention. This position will coordinate with federal and state Tribal programs and partners, obtaining information on best management practices and procedures, as well as manage collaborations and partnership opportunities with tribes.

15% Communications: Regularly share Agency progress on Tribal Affairs by
shaping and executing regular communication within and beyond our
Agency through our website, emails, and social media content. Ensure
our Agency’s public materials reflect our Tribal priorities and provide the
Secretary and Governor’s office key information to convey in their public
events. Effort to regularly inform Tribal governments and communities of
issues of interest.

To apply, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the Ca.gov website where to application is housed.
READ MORE
5. Funding Opportunity- The Community Forest and Open Space Conservation Program- Due Date-January 11th
Image
The Community Forest and Open Space Conservation Program (Community Forest Program) of the Forest Service offers a unique opportunity for communities to acquire and conserve forests that provide public access and recreational opportunities, protect vital water supplies and wildlife habitat, serve as demonstration sites for private forest landowners, and provide economic benefits from timber and non-timber products.

Program Basics

-Full fee title acquisition is required. Conservation easements are not eligible.
Community Forests can be owned by local governments, tribal governments, and qualified nonprofit entities.

-The program pays up to 50% of the project costs and requires a 50% non-federal match.

-Public access is required for Community Forest Program projects.
Lands acquired through the program are actively managed in accordance with a community forest plan to provide community benefits.

How to Apply

The Forest Service publishes an annual request for applications for the Community Forest Program (CFP) in the Federal Register. The Program is currently accepting applications which are due to State Foresters or Tribal governments by January 11, 2021. Applications are encouraged from across the country.

For more information, please hit the read more button below.
READ MORE
6. National Tribal Leadership- Climate Change Summit>> Virtual Sessions-
Session II: Tribal Climate Resiliency on Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 10:00AM - 1:30PM (PST)
Image
Session II will focus on learning about policies and practices that promote Tribal Climate Resiliency in the United States and Canada. The purpose is to engage leadership and staff in building resilience to meet pressing, complex challenges Indigenous communities must face through leadership engagement and increased familiarity with successful examples, tools, and technologies. To register for the session, please hit the read more button below.
READ MORE
7. Funding Opportunity- Patagonia Foundation Environmental Grants- Due Date- January 31st
Image
Patagonia supports environmental organizations with bold, direct-action agendas and a commitment to long-term change.

We support innovative work that addresses the root causes of the environmental crisis and seeks to protect both the environment and affected communities. We focus on places where we’ve built connections through outdoor recreation and through our network of retail stores, nationally and internationally.

We believe local battles to protect a specific stand of forest, a stretch of river, an indigenous wild species or a community from a polluting refinery build public support and confront larger, more complex issues like climate change, biodiversity loss and environmental justice.

We encourage work that brings underrepresented communities to the forefront of the environmental movement and defend communities whose health and livelihoods are threatened by environmental exploitation.

We support multi-pronged campaigns that push for greater environmental protections and force the government to abide by its own laws.

For more information, please hit the read more button below.
READ MORE
8. Funding Opportunity- Emergency Community Water Assistance Grants in California
Image
What does this program do?

This program helps eligible communities prepare, or recover from, an emergency that threatens the availability of safe, reliable drinking water.

Who may apply?

Most state and local governmental entities
Nonprofit organizations
Federally recognized tribes
What kind of event can qualify as an emergency?

Drought or flood
Earthquake
Tornado or hurricane
Disease outbreak
Chemical spill, leak or seepage
Other disasters
NOTE: A federal disaster declaration is not required.

What is an eligible area?

Rural areas and towns with populations of 10,000 or less -- check eligible addresses
Tribal lands in rural areas
Colonias
The area to be served must also have a median household income less-than the state's median household income for non-metropolitan areas. Contact your local RD office for details.

How may the funds be used?

Water transmission line grants up to $150,000 to construct waterline extensions, repair breaks or leaks in existing water distribution lines, and address related maintenance necessary to replenish the water supply
Water source grants up to $1,000,000 are to construct a water source, intake or treatment facility
Are matching funds required?

Partnerships with other federal, state, local, private and nonprofit entities are encouraged
How do we get started?

Applications for this program are accepted year round,
online at https://www.rd.usda.gov/programs-services/rd-apply or through your local RD office.
Program resources are available online (forms, guidance, certifications, etc.).
Who can answer questions?

Staff in your local RD office
Participating nonprofit associations
What governs this program?

Code of Federal Regulation, 7 CFR 1778
Section 306A of the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act
Why does USDA Rural Development do this?

This program helps prevent damage or restore households and business' access to clean, reliable drinking water in eligible rural areas and towns following natural disasters. Funding can improve the natural environment and encourage manufacturers and other businesses to locate or expand operations.

For more information, please hit the read more button to be redirected to the USDA website where the grant information is housed.
READ MORE
9. Funding Opportunity- Civic Innovation Challenge (CIVIC) due March 31 2021
Image
Full Proposal Deadline Date

March 31, 2021

Stage 2

SYNOPSIS

The Civic Innovation Challenge (CIVIC) is a research and action competition in the Smart and Connected Communities (S&CC) domain designed to build a more cohesive research-to-innovation pipeline and foster a collaborative spirit. Building on the NSF S&CC program and the extensive S&CC ecosystem, CIVIC aims to accelerate the impact of S&CC research, and deepen cooperation and information sharing across sectors and regions. CIVIC will lay a foundation for a broader and more fluid exchange of research interests and civic priorities that will create new instances of collaboration and introduce new areas of technical and social scientific discovery. CIVIC will fund projects that can produce significant community impact within 12 months (following a four-month planning phase) — in contrast to many community-university partnerships that take years to provide tangible benefits to communities — and have the potential for lasting impact beyond the period of the CIVIC award.

CIVIC introduces several unique features that differentiate it from the NSF S&CC program: (1) CIVIC flips the community-university dynamic, asking communities to identify civic priorities ripe for innovation and then to partner with researchers to address those priorities; (2) CIVIC focuses on research that is ready for piloting in and with communities on a short timescale, where real-world impact can be evaluated within 12 months; (3) CIVIC requires the inclusion of civic partners in the core project team, to emphasize civic engagement; and (4) CIVIC organizes and fosters “communities of practice” around high-need problem areas that allow for meaningful knowledge sharing and cross-site collaboration during both pre-development and piloting. For purposes of clarity, civic partners may include local, state, or tribal government officials; non-profit representatives; community organizers or advocates; community service providers; and/or others working to improve their communities.

CIVIC is organized as a two-stage competition with two tracks centered around the following topic areas:

Track A. Communities and Mobility: Offering Better Mobility Options to Solve the Spatial Mismatch Between Housing Affordability and Jobs; and
Track B. Resilience to Natural Disasters: Equipping Communities for Greater Preparedness and Resilience to Natural Disasters.
In the first stage (Stage 1), about 12 awards per track will be made for Planning Grants – each with a budget of up to $50,000 for four months to undertake pre-development activities, including solidifying the team, maturing the project plans, and preparing to submit a well-developed full proposal for Stage 2. Only awardees of Stage 1 will be eligible to submit proposals for Stage 2.

In the second stage (Stage 2), about four teams per track will be selected from Stage 1 award recipients to receive a full award — each with a budget of up to $1,000,000 for up to 12 months to execute and evaluate their research-centered pilot projects.

Throughout both stages, NSF grantee (NSF award 1931690) MetroLab Network (metrolabnetwork.org, nsfcivicinnovation.org) will foster “communities of practice” through in-person and web-based activities, aimed at enhancing the teams’ capacity-building, networking, impact, and ability to create methods and solutions transferable to other communities.

This research and action competition is jointly supported by NSF’s Directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE), Directorate for Engineering, and Directorate for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences (SBE), the Department of Energy (DOE), and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Track A is supported by NSF and DOE. Track B is supported by NSF/CISE and DHS. Additional support for CIVIC activities may be available from a set of philanthropic organizations working together with MetroLab Network. NSF will not share proposals or reviews with philanthropic organizations.

For more information, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to National Science Foundation where the information is housed.
READ MORE
10. Recommended Reading-History again! Deb Haaland tapped for Interior
Image
President-elect Joe Biden, in a historic move, has chosen Rep. Deb Haaland to lead the U.S. Interior Department. If confirmed by the Senate, the New Mexico Democrat would be the first Native American to serve as a Cabinet secretary.

"A voice like mine has never been a Cabinet secretary or at the head of the Department of Interior," Haaland tweeted Thursday night.

"Growing up in my mother’s Pueblo household made me fierce. I’ll be fierce for all of us, our planet, and all of our protected land. I am honored and ready to serve."

For the rest of the article, please hit the read more button below.
READ MORE
11. Recommended Reading- La Posta Indians Lose Another Bid to Halt Border Work in San Diego Sector
Image
For the second time since August, a federal judge has refused to halt border wall construction in a San Diego sector that local Indians consider sacred ancestral burial grounds.

On Wednesday, Judge Anthony Battaglia in San Diego denied a motion for a temporary restraining order from the La Posta Band of Diegueno Mission Indians.

“The tribe asserts new allegations of harm associated with recent discoveries of cultural sites and items in the El Centro A Project Area,” Battaglia noted, citing finds of possible human remains at fire pits used for cremation at Kumeyaay cultural sites.

To read the article in its entirety, please hit the read more button.
READ MORE
12. Training Opportunity- RCAC- Month of January
Image
1. Asset Series: Capital Improvement Plans (Plan 1) & Google Earth Mapping (Part 2)
Tuesday, January 5th
Part 1 | 10:00am | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2351
Part 2 | 2:00pm | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2352

2. Pathogens in Drinking Water
Wednesday, January 6th
10:00am | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2353
2:00pm | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2354

3. Once More into the Bleach; Handling and Application of Sodium Hypochlorite (Part 1 & 2)
Tuesday, January 12th
Part 1 | 10:00am | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2372
Part 2 | 2:00pm | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2377

4. Water Quality Sampling
Wednesday, January 13th
10:00am | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2378
2:00pm | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2379

5. Budgeting for Small Water Systems
Wednesday, January 20th
10:00am | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2344

6. Customer Communications and Transparency
Wednesday, January 20th
2:00pm | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2345

7. Surface Water Treatment Rule
Thursday, January 21st
10:00am | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2380
2:00pm | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2381

8. Budgeting Analysis and Rate Setting (Part 1 & 2)
Tuesday, January 26th
Part 1 | 10:00am | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2382
Part 2 | 2:00pm | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2383

9. AB54 and AB240; Ethics for Mutual Water Company Board Members
Tuesday, January 26th
6:00pm | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2384

10. Distribution System Operation and Maintenance (Part 1 & 2)
Wednesday, January 27th
Part 1 | 10:00am | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2385
Part 2 | 2:00pm | Register at: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2386

Contact Hours: Each 10 a.m. & 2 p.m. webinar qualifies for two (2) drinking water certification contact hours.

For registration information & technical assistance, contact:
Training Department
(916) 447-9832 ext 1429
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.”

If you would like us to share any events or news related to our mission, please do not hesitate to send the information to [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe from the CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL_NCRP list, click the following link:
http://list.ciea-health.org/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?SUBED1=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL_NCRP&A=1