View in Browser:
http://list.ciea-health.org/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?A2=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL_NCRP;a5ed3cf5.2104p

######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #########

CIEA Environmental Chronicle - Vol. 1, Issue 24, May 2021

Monthly news of environmental issues affecting Indigenous Peoples

######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #########

1. Opening Remarks- Abide CDC Standards!

The CIEA staff would like to take the opportunity to honour the various protectors and stewards of grandmother earth! We acknowledge and recognize the work Indigenous folxs do for our communities, our lands, and our peoples. Please continue to practice CDC standards as more information is made available.

The CIEA office is physically closed until May 31th due to the 'shelter in place' directive. The purpose is so we can evaluate if there’s any increased cases in the counties where CIEA staff live and work. Of course if the situation changes we will have to adjust our plan. We will continue to work remotely and are available via email and through our phone, where messages are checked daily.

We do want to take the time to continue to love, protect, cherish, and care for one another, especially our elders, folxs who are immunocompromised, as well as our essential workers including medical staff, grocery store workers, etc.

We also advise that folxs to stay safe, be prepared, and that we are here for you all.

Again, we are so happy to be able to provide you with monthly announcements about training, capacity building, Tribal Self-Advocacy and funding opportunities, as well as water related news. Readers are more than welcome to send information about upcoming events, training, or news that you think would be beneficial for other Tribal members in other regions to know to our Communications and Public Relations Coordinator, Joel Sedano at [log in to unmask]

2. Funding Opportunity- Rural Fire Capacity (RFC) – Fiscal Year 2021-22: Personal Protective Clothing and Equipment (Formally Volunteer Fire
Assistance Program)- due May 4th

CAL FIRE is soliciting applications from fire departments in rural areas and
communities with a population of 10,000 or less, for awards under the Rural Fire Capacity (RFC) Program of the Cooperative Forestry Assistance Act of 1978. The application can be found online at the CAL FIRE public website under the Grants page, https://www.fire.ca.gov/grants/.

The funding level for California in Fiscal Year 2021-22 has not been determined at this time. However, historical funding levels for RFC are approximately $1,000,000. In order to ensure timely consideration, completed applications must be submitted no later than May 4, 2021. Applications must be submitted electronically, there will be no hard copy submission.

CAL FIRE anticipates completion of the application review process by August 2021.
Successful applicants must complete their approved project(s) using local funds between the Agreement Approval Date and June 30, 2022; then bill CAL FIRE within the award agreement period in order to receive the award. The award will not cover expenditures made prior to the date of final signature on the agreement or after June 30, 2022.

READ MORE:
https://www.fire.ca.gov/programs/fire-protection/cooperative-efforts/

3. The Narwhal presents: The Promise of Indigenous Protected and Conserved Areas in Canada- May 4th

Join The Narwhal’s managing editor Carol Linnitt and our panel of guest speakers for an hour-long discussion about Indigenous Protected and Conserved Areas (IPCAs) in Canada, and what we can learn from similar, longer-running efforts in Australia.

We’ll examine the broader concept as well as specific case studies to understand how Indigenous-led conservation can help manage species, reduce wildfire risk and safeguard the environment while still making room for natural resource operations that benefit First Nations and other regional and national stakeholders.

Hear from:
- Gillian Staveley, Director of Culture and Land Stewardship, Dena Kayeh Institute
- Steven Nitah, Lead Negotiator, Thaidene Nëné IPCA and Senior Advisor, Indigenous Leadership Initiative
- Valérie Courtois, Director, Indigenous Leadership Initiative
- Denis Rose, Program Manager, Gunditj Mirring Traditional Owners Aboriginal Corporation

The conversation will be followed by a 15-minute audience Q&A session with our panellists.

You don’t want to miss hearing from this powerhouse panel. Sign up below in the read more button!

READ MORE:
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/9316111623448/WN_EtHx2rV_RmeYw30aeW7QLw?utm_source=The+Narwhal+Newsletter&utm_campaign=4e64946a89-April+27+2021+IPCA+event+invite+%E2%80%94+non-members&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f6a05fddb8-4e64946a89-108550619

4. Press Release- California Cattlemen's Association, Karuk Tribe, Defenders of Wildlife: Groups Seek Liability Reforms to Fight Wildfire Tribes, Ranchers, Conservation Groups Join Forces to Support SB 332

"Sacramento, CA – Today a diverse coalition representing tribes, ranchers and conservationists announced strong support of Senate Bill (SB) 332, state legislation that would enable more cultural and prescribed burns. Tribes like the Karuk want to use prescribed fire to protect homes and restore watersheds, much like their ancestors did, and farmers, ranchers and conservationists use fire to manage noxious weeds, restore wildlife habitat and protect biodiversity. In many cases the legal and policy barriers for all of these groups are the same" ("Groups Seek Liability Reforms to Fight Wildfire Tribes, Ranchers, Conservation Groups Join Forces to Support SB 332", 2021).

For the press release in its entirety, please hit the read more button below.

READ MORE:
http://www.ciea-health.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/21-04-27-FINAL-SB322-coalition-press-release.pdf

5. Webinar Opportunities- 2021 Tribal GIS® Learning ArcGIS Webinar Series

For more information or to register for the webinars, please hit the read more button below.

READ MORE:
https://ntgisc.regfox.com/learning-arcgis

6. Training Opportunity- May 2021- RCAC Free Water Workshop

Go Small and Go Home: Point-of-Use & Point-of-Entry Treatment Systems
Thursday, May 6th
10:00am | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2417
2:00pm | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2418

Water Operators & the Capital Improvement Plan
Tuesday, May 11th
Part 1 | 10:00am | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2419
Part 2 | 2:00pm | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2420

Budgeting Analysis & Rate Setting
Wednesday, May 12th
Part 1 | 10:00am | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2422
Part 2 | 2:00pm | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2423

Revised Total Coliform Rule & Level 1 Assessment
Thursday, May 13th
Part 1 | 10:00am | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2425
Part 2 | 2:00pm | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2426

CalTAP Fair: Building Resilience in a New Environment
Part 1 | Thursday, May 20th | 8:30am | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2603
Part 2 | Thursday, May 20th | 1:00pm | Financial Track: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2606
| Managerial Track: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2605
| Technical Track: https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2604

Operating During Public Safety Power Shut-off (PSPS)
Sunday, May 25th
10:00am | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2427
2:00pm | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2429

Consumer Confidence Reporting Compliance
Monday, May 26th
10:00am | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2431
2:00pm | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2433

Source Water Protection
Tuesday, May 27th
Part 1 | 10:00am | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2438
Part 2 | 2:00pm | Register at https://www.events.rcac.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=2439

7. Recommended Reading- Local Government Commission's "Resilient Watersheds and Fire Management" factsheet

Here is the Local Government Commission’s most recent factsheet,  Resilient Watersheds, and Fire Management, as part of our Pandemic Recovery and Beyond series.

 LGC recognizes how critical it is to develop forward-looking management techniques that promote proactive approaches to fire prevention. This is incredibly timely, as Governor’s Newsom just announced over $500 million for wildlife prevention through his early budget action.

This factsheet outlines the socio-economic and environmental implications of California’s natural drought/fire/flood cycle; the challenges of fire resilience; the importance of fuel load reduction; and the need for intentional coordination across jurisdictions and government levels. To read the factsheet, please hit the read more button below.

READ MORE:
http://www.ciea-health.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Watershed-Fire-Management-factsheet.pdf

8. Recommended Reading- "'This has never happened': California's only wildfire research center makes scary discovery"- SF Gate article

Opening Paragraphs: "On the second day of April, the skies were clear over the San Francisco Bay Area and the view from atop the sun-drenched Mount Umunhum in the South Bay spread across a sea of green shrubs and trees carpeting the surrounding Santa Cruz Mountains.

It was a beautiful sight, but a team of researchers from San Jose State University's Wildfire Interdisciplinary Research Center — the only wildfire research center in California — noticed something wasn't quite right" (SF Gate, 2021).

For the article in its entirety, please hit the read more button below.

READ MORE:
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/fuel-moisture-content-California-wildfire-16087019.php

9. Job Opportunity- Native Land Trust Council is searching for a new Executive Director- Deadline: until job is filled

The Native Land Trust Council, a Kalliopeia grantee partner currently searching for an Dxecutive director.

 The Native Land Trust Council (NLTC) is an intertribal, emerging non-profit organization that Kalliopeia has supported to begin to build infrastructure. Although they have existed on an ad hoc basis for several years, the NLTC has started to formalize their organization, and currently have a Board and part-time ED laying a strong foundation for a new full-time ED. The NLTC’s mission is to support, strengthen and promote the cultural conservation and stewardship initiatives of Indigenous land trusts and conservancies that protect and preserve traditional resources and ways of life.

 The NLTC involves five organizations as founding members- the Amah Mutsun Land Trust, the Native Land Conservancy, the Kumeyaay Diegueño Land Conservancy, the Maidu Summit Consortium, and the Native American Land Conservancy. NLTC’s mission is to support, strengthen and promote the cultural conservation and stewardship initiatives of Indigenous land trusts and conservancies that protect and preserve traditional resources and ways of life. As you’ll see in the job announcement, which can be found in the read more button below, the ability to work remotely and independently is a required qualification.

READ MORE:
https://kramernonprofitconsulting.com/622-2/

10.  Consultation Opportunity- Delta Conveyance Project Community Benefits Program Workshop 2 of 3- May 6th

Registration Extended for Community Benefits Program Workshop
Come Share Your Ideas!

The registration deadline for the second Delta Conveyance Project Community Benefits Program virtual workshop on Thursday, May 6th has been extended. Register by Monday, May 3rd for this interactive workshop. Come share your funding ideas with the Department of Water Resources.

This workshop will include small breakout room discussions where participants will have an opportunity to provide input on the types of things the proposed Community Benefits Program could fund in the following categories:

 Water and Air Quality
Public Safety and Emergency Response
Recreation
Habitat Conservation
Culture and History
Economy
Infrastructure
Agriculture
Education and Workforce Development
Levee Maintenance

To register, please hit the read more button below.

READ MORE:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/delta-conveyance-project-community-benefits-program-workshop-2-of-3-registration-144091271873

11. Tribal Consultation Opportunity: Guidance for Assessing Chemical Contaminant Data for Use in Fish Advisories, Volume 4 Risk Communication- due July 15, 2021

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is initiating consultation and coordination with federally recognized Indian Tribes and requesting comments on guidance for assessing chemical contaminant data for use in fish advisories, volume 4 risk communication.

The tribal consultation letter, consultation and coordination plan, and supplemental information are attached. Please be advised that the attached consultation information has been sent electronically in lieu of postal mail due to the COVID-19 public health emergency and, therefore, it is the only formal announcement that you will receive pertaining to the EPA’s initiation of tribal consultation and coordination on guidance for assessing chemical contaminant data for use in fish advisories, volume 4 risk communication. This consultation and coordination will be conducted in accordance with the EPA Policy on Consultation and Coordination with Indian Tribes. In addition, the EPA acknowledges that tribes are experiencing operational impacts due to the COVID-19 public health emergency and is taking this into consideration as we continue to work collaboratively to address environmental issues.

The EPA is holding an informational webinar for tribes on April 14, 2021, from 2:00 to 4:00 PM Eastern Time. You can register for the webinar here.

For additional information, please see the attached tribal consultation letter and plan, and supplemental information. These consultation materials are also available in EPA’s Tribal Consultation Opportunities Tracking System (TCOTS) website located at: https://tcots.epa.gov.

Tribes will have until July 15, 2021 to provide comment on this action.

For any questions, please contact Sharon Frey with EPA Office of Water’s Office of Science and Technology by email at [log in to unmask] or by phone at 202-566-1480.

12. Funding Opportunity- Emergency Community Water Assistance Grants in California

What does this program do?

This program helps eligible communities prepare, or recover from, an emergency that threatens the availability of safe, reliable drinking water.

Who may apply?

Most state and local governmental entities
Nonprofit organizations
Federally recognized tribes
What kind of event can qualify as an emergency?

Drought or flood
Earthquake
Tornado or hurricane
Disease outbreak
Chemical spill, leak or seepage
Other disasters
NOTE: A federal disaster declaration is not required.

What is an eligible area?

Rural areas and towns with populations of 10,000 or less -- check eligible addresses
Tribal lands in rural areas
Colonias
The area to be served must also have a median household income less-than the state's median household income for non-metropolitan areas. Contact your local RD office for details.

How may the funds be used?

Water transmission line grants up to $150,000 to construct waterline extensions, repair breaks or leaks in existing water distribution lines, and address related maintenance necessary to replenish the water supply
Water source grants up to $1,000,000 are to construct a water source, intake or treatment facility
Are matching funds required?

Partnerships with other federal, state, local, private and nonprofit entities are encouraged
How do we get started?

Applications for this program are accepted year round,
online at https://www.rd.usda.gov/programs-services/rd-apply or through your local RD office.
Program resources are available online (forms, guidance, certifications, etc.).
Who can answer questions?

Staff in your local RD office
Participating nonprofit associations
What governs this program?

Code of Federal Regulation, 7 CFR 1778
Section 306A of the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act
Why does USDA Rural Development do this?

This program helps prevent damage or restore households and business' access to clean, reliable drinking water in eligible rural areas and towns following natural disasters. Funding can improve the natural environment and encourage manufacturers and other businesses to locate or expand operations.

For more information, please hit the read more button to be redirected to the USDA website where the grant information is housed.

READ MORE:
https://www.rd.usda.gov/programs-services/emergency-community-water-assistance-grants/ca

13. Save the date- Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals- CC 101: Introduction to Climate Change Adaptation Planning (Western Region)- August 9-13, 2021

14. Save the date- Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals-National Tribal & Indigenous Climate Conference- August 29- September 1, 2021

“We, as indigenous women and indigenous peoples, believe it’s vital to take into account our knowledge to prevent and adapt to climate change, because the communities are the ones who know how." - Tarcila Rivera (Quecha)

Unsubscribe:
http://LIST.CIEA-HEALTH.ORG/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?SUBED1=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL_NCRP&A=1

P.O. Box 2128
Berkeley, CA 94702

510-848-2043
http://www.ciea-health.org/

If you would like us to share any events or news related to our mission, please do not hesitate to send the information to [log in to unmask]