Newsletter

Logo
CIEA Environmental Chronicle
Monthly news of environmental issues affecting Indigenous Peoples
Vol. 38, Issue 3, July 2022
1. Input Opportunity- Seeking Your Voice on State Water Board’s Racial Equity Action Plan
Image
Tribal Representatives and interested parties,

The State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) is inviting you to join a conversation about the State Water Board’s Racial Equity Action Plan to help ensure it matches the assets and opportunities in your community. Community input was so important during development of the State Water Board’s Racial Equity Resolution, rs2021-0050 (ca.gov), and we intend to honor your contributions as we continue our racial equity journey.

In May, community partners and State Water Board management and staff came together for Visioning and Strategy retreats, as well as a series of Action Planning workshops. The draft Racial Equity Action Plan will set goals for the State Water Board to address racial inequities and identify metrics to measure progress.

We are inviting you to provide input on the Racial Equity Action Plan through a series of public engagement workshops across the state. During each session, we also will inform communities about the Water Boards’ progress since the Racial Equity Resolution was adopted. We encourage you to share this invitation with others in your community.

Here are the ways that you and your community can provide feedback:

Statewide Virtual Workshop

July 20, 2022. 5:30-7:30 PM. Zoom.
Regional In Person and Virtual Workshops

Northern California (Redding, CA): July 21, 2022. 4 – 6:30 PM.
Southern California (Mecca, CA): July 25, 2022. 4 – 6:30 PM.
Central California (Visalia, CA): July 27, 2022. 4 – 6:30 PM.
To Register, and for agendas and background materials, visit linktr.ee/ca.water.boards.racialequity

We approach this process with humility and acknowledge that we have a long journey ahead. Our vision is to co-create a sustainable California where race no longer predicts where clean water is available or who has access to it, and a Water Boards where employees represent the diverse experiences of California communities. We cannot get there without deepening our understanding of community assets and working collaboratively with you. We hope you can join us for a discussion of the Racial Equity Action Plan. We need your voice!

Public Notice - Racial Equity (ca.gov)

Feel free to reach out to [log in to unmask] with any questions.
2. Tribal Engagement Opportunity- Invitation to meet and engage with the SWAMP Bioaccumulation Monitoring Program
Image
Greetings Tribal government representatives and other interested parties,

The SWAMP Bioaccumulation Monitoring Program is interested in building relationships with California Native American Tribes and learning about each tribes’ interest and readiness to partner with us.

Background

The Bioaccumulation Monitoring Program works with its many partners to answer the question: Is it safe to eat fish and shellfish in California waters that the public and tribes use for consumption, subsistence, and/or cultural purposes?

The Water Board’s Surface Water Ambient Monitoring Program (SWAMP) evaluated its Bioaccumulation Monitoring Program and issued a Realignment Plan in December 2020. The Realignment Plan calls for a focus on incorporating Tribal perspectives and needs into its monitoring efforts and ensuring those data and information are useful and used by Californian Native American Tribes (tribes) who rely on waterbodies for traditional, cultural, and subsistence uses. The inclusion of representatives from Tribal governments and/or Tribal advocacy groups in the Realignment process is central to the success of the Program and long-term (10+ year) Realignment effort. Tribal representatives who choose to participate in a future Realignment Process will have the opportunity to highlight priorities and shape the future of the Program in their region so that it better serves their communities.

Tribal Engagement Plan

From March to November 2022, the Bioaccumulation Monitoring Program will be conducting statewide outreach and engagement with tribes that are interested in learning more about the Program or the Realignment process. The main objectives of this Tribal engagement effort are to:

Initiate introductions between Bioaccumulation Monitoring Program staff and tribes.
Explain the Program and Realignment process, and gauge Tribal interest and readiness to participate in future Realignment cycles.
Execute the engagement well in advance of the beginning of the next Regional Realignment cycle (2024) so that tribes have time to make an informed decision regarding their interest and readiness to engage with the Program and participate in future Realignment cycles.

How to Participate

Schedule an introductory meeting with Program staff. Introductory meetings can be short (~30 min) or long (one or more hours), depending on Tribal representatives’ interest and availability.

To schedule a meeting with Bioaccumulation Monitoring Program staff, please complete the Tribal Engagement Interest Form to indicate your interest in connecting with us, your availability to set up a meeting, who should be included in the meeting invitation, and their contact information. There is no deadline to complete the form. The form can be found by clicking the read more button below.

Resources below can be found on the Water Boards website.

Tribal Engagement Plan
Bioaccumulation Monitoring Program Fact Sheet
Realignment Plan Fact Sheet
Realignment Plan Executive Summary

Contact

Anna Holder, SWAMP Bioaccumulation Monitoring Program Coordinator and Realignment Lead, at [log in to unmask] (preferred) or 916-341-5096.
READ MORE
3. Join the CIEA Team- The California Indian Environmental Alliance in currently hiring for an Executive Assistant- Job posting open until the position is filled.
Image
Assistant to the Executive Director

The California Indian Environmental Alliance (CIEA) is a well-established, small-sized nonprofit that maintains relationships with a multitude of California Native Tribes, Tribal organizations, non-governmental organizations and agencies across the state.

Our mission is "to protect and restore California Indian Peoples' cultural traditions, ancestral territories, means of subsistence, and environmental health." CIEA operates swiftly. Our Tribal partners expect the finest support and representation, and we work hard to exceed their expectations. We are looking for you to join us in supporting Tribal self-advocacy and environmental resiliency.

CIEA is seeking an Executive Assistant with experience and a background in environmental justice. Because our organization works with Tribes in California, those with experience working within Native American communities are preferred. You will be responsible for organizing the
day-to-day activities of our organization while assisting in operational functions in support of the Executive Director (ED). You will assist, oversee, and maintain records for project reporting and deadlines for all of CIEA staff program coordinators. We are looking for someone with 5–10 years of experience who will bring innovation and ideas to enhance our operations and swiftly adapt to a dynamic environment. California Tribal members and/or other Tribal people are highly encouraged to apply. Open until filled. We look forward to meeting you!

Qualifications:
 A bachelor's degree in environmental sciences, political science, Native American Studies, social work, or a related field(s), or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience, is preferred.
 2-5 years of experience in grant writing and/or grant management
 Preferred candidates will have 3+ years of executive, personal assistant, or program experience.
 Preferred candidates will have 2+ years of clerical/administrative experience, staff oversight and/or Human Resources experience.
 Required knowledge, skills, and abilities include:
 self-motivated, proactive, diplomatic, tactful, confident personality with the ability to be persistent when necessary.
 Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Outlook, Google Drive, QuickBooks, Abode, and Zoom; Experience with HRIS and applicant tracking systems is strongly preferred.
 must be extremely detail-oriented.
 must operate well in a team environment, maintain a positive attitude, and be willing to work with all team members.
 be able to perform job duties with little supervision.
 ability to maintain a flexible working attitude while performing job duties under stressful conditions or dealing with complex communications
 An excellent understanding of English, both written and verbal, is required.
 excellent written and verbal communication skills.
 ability to maintain confidential or sensitive information.
 flexibility in scheduling, which may include working a limited number of nights and weekends
 You must be a creative, high-energy, hands-on professional who can successfully multitask in a fast-paced environment and maintain excellent organizational skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
 Calendar management entails scheduling meetings, calls, and travel on a daily, monthly, and quarterly basis to align with both business and personal schedules.
 Communicating with staff and assisting with project management
 Managing and completing correspondence in coordination with the Executive Director
 Reviewing contract agreements and staff reports
 supports the HR team with additional duties and projects as needed.
 Assists with receptionist duties and special projects as needed.
 Support staff with project management needs.
 Answer, screen, route, and initiate telephone calls and use appropriate telephone etiquette.
 Prepare reports and/or special projects, which may include data collection from fellow employees, coordination, final copy preparation, distribution, etc.
 responsible for filing active and inactive employee documents and files.
 Support the ED in responding to phone messages in a courteous and professional
manner within 24 hours of receiving the call.
 Become familiar with all CIEA daily functions in order to build them into project reports effectively and accurately.
 Effectively coordinate a consistent, integrated, and comprehensive system of communications.
 Other duties as assigned

Job Type: Full-time
Experience:
 Executive Assistant: 3+ years (Preferred)
 Human Resources: 2 years (Preferred)
 Program Management: 3+ years (Preferred)

 Salary: $28-$33 per hour, DEPENDENT ON EXPERIENCE.
 Additional Compensation: Reimbursement for travel, hotel, and food based on state
scale as necessary.
 Location: The primary work location is in El Cerrito, CA, with the possibility of some
remote work days each month.
 Benefits: ARE NEGOTIABLE
 Schedule: day shift, Monday through Friday, and some weekends (8-hour average
shifts, 36 to 40 hours per week)
This Job Is:
 This is a good fit for applicants of all ages, including older job seekers and people with
disabilities, who are encouraged to apply. The position is open to applicants who do not
have a college diploma.
 The job is open to applicants with gaps in their resume or who have been out of the
workforce for the past 6 months.
 Opportunity for growth and advancement

To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume/CV, and a list of professional references (minimum of 3) to [log in to unmask]

If you would like us to share any events or news related to our mission, please do not hesitate to send the information to [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe from the CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL_NCRP list, click the following link:
http://list.ciea-health.org/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?SUBED1=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL_NCRP&A=1