View in Browser:
http://list.ciea-health.org/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?A2=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL;4ea2cda1.2301p

######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #########

CIEA Environmental Chronicle - Vol. 46, Issue 1, February 2023

Monthly news of environmental issues affecting Indigenous Peoples

######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #########

1. Opening Remarks- Happy Black History Month

CIEA would like to pay our respects and honor our Afro-Indigenous and Black Native relatives. We draw on the words of our relative Dr. Kyle T. Mays (Saginaw Chippewa), "If we want to dismantle oppressive systems that exist, then we have to stop being oppressive to each other."

We must do our part within the larger conversation and demand accountability as well as change. CIEA would like to take the time to offer space for our Afro-Indigenous and Black Native relatives.

We stand in true solidarity with our Afro-Indigenous and Black Native relatives and communities. We are committed to anti-racist work. CIEA would like to use our platform to denounce anti-blackness and colorism that our own Indigenous nations and communities have been complicit in.

To our Afro-Indigenous and Black Native relatives and community members, CIEA recognizes, honors, and celebrates you.

The CIEA office is still physically closed until further noticed. Staff is still available via email and through out telephones.

Again, we are so happy to be able to provide you with monthly announcements about training, capacity building, Tribal Self-Advocacy and funding opportunities, as well as water related news. Readers are more than welcome to send information about upcoming events, training, or news that you think would be beneficial for other Tribal members in other regions to know to our Communications and Public Relations Coordinator, Joel Sedano at [log in to unmask]

2. Funding Opportunity- Reclamation WaterSMART Environmental Water Resources Project

On January 24, 2023, the Bureau of Reclamation published a funding opportunity for the WaterSMART Environmental Water Resources Projects (EWRP).

Eligible projects under this funding opportunity include Environmental Water Resources Projects, including water conservation and efficiency projects that result in quantifiable and sustained water savings and benefit ecological values or watershed health, water management or infrastructure improvements to benefit ecological values or watershed health, and restoration projects benefitting ecological values or watershed health that have a nexus to water resources or water resources management.

Reclamation will provide Federal financial assistance of up to $3 million in Federal funding for projects with a total project cost of $6 million or less that can be completed in three years. Applicants can receive 75% Federal cost-share if the application demonstrates that the project increases water supply reliability for ecological values, was developed as part of a collaborative process, and the project benefits will advance an established strategy or plan to increase the reliability of water supply for consumptive and non-consumptive ecological values.

If you have questions regarding applicant and project eligibility, program requirements, or the evaluation criteria for the Environmental Water Resources Projects, click here and select Environmental Water Resource Projects Inquiry to schedule a time to talk with the program coordinators.

You can find additional information regarding the Environmental Water Resources Projects funding opportunity on Reclamation’s website by hitting the read more button below.

READ MORE:
https://www.usbr.gov/watersmart/ewrp/index.html

3. Funding Opportunity- Clif Family Foundation: February 1, 2023

The Clif Family Foundation supports nonprofit grassroots organizations that have the ability to engage local groups, positively impact their communities, and focus most of their resources on useful and positive actions.

Grants are provided throughout the United States to support innovative groups working to strengthen our food system, enhance equitable community health outcomes, and safeguard our environment and natural resources.

Priority is given to organizations that address two or more of the Foundation's funding priorities, demonstrate strong community ties, and operate within viable and clearly defined plans for positive change.

Applications are reviewed three times per year; the application deadlines are February 1, June 1, and October 1, annually. Visit the Foundation's website to learn more about the grants program and to take the eligibility quiz.

4. Comments Opportunity- Draft Grant Guidelines Workshops Announcement
Fifth Assessment Tribal Research Program: Due February 1, 2023

California’s Fifth Climate Change Assessment Tribal Research team is excited to release for public review the draft grant guidelines for the first round of Tribal Research Grants. The draft can be viewed on the California Energy Commission website or by contacting [log in to unmask]

With a goal of making this program meaningful and accessible to all California Native American tribes, we held 4 listening sessions and consultations to create the draft grant guidelines and we would greatly appreciate your feedback. Please register below by hitting the read more button below to join a virtual Draft Grant Guidelines informational workshop on January 26th from 3pm-5pm

Comments on the draft are due by 5:00 pm on February 1, 2023. You may provide comment during the workshops or submit comment to [log in to unmask]

READ MORE:
https://governorca.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwucO2pqDwuGNw0nOXgLSZllmRBBCeDCYxv.

5. Webinar Opportunity- Toxins Associated with Fresh Water Harmful Algal Blooms and Their Mammalian Health Effects: February 1, 2023 at 11:00 AM CT/ 12:00 PM ET

The Algal Bloom Action Team is hosting its first webinar of 2023 on Wednesday, February 1st. This webinar will feature Donna Hill with the Office of Research and Development with the US EPA. Hill will provide an overview of health effects seen in humans and animals from freshwater cyanotoxin blooms. Completed and planned cyanotoxin research in their EPA lab will also be outlined.

To register for the webinar, please hit the read more button below to be redirected to the registration page.

READ MORE:
https://uwmadison.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_b5-WLFsqRwGM68WT3OQ4oQ

6. Informational Webinar: Tribal Grid Resilience Formula Grant Applications: February 2, 2023

To register, please hit the read more button below and you will be redirected to the registration link.

READ MORE:
https://nau.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEvfuyrpzkvHNPJgHW-08wQ3a7XAkgsww3P

7. Funding Webinar Opportunity- FY23 Environmental Water Resources Projects Webinar: February 6, 2023

On January 24, 2023, the Bureau of Reclamation published a funding opportunity for the WaterSMART Environmental Water Resources Projects (EWRP). The funding opportunity supports water conservation, water management, and restoration projects that result in significant benefit to the ecosystem or watershed health. The projects must also be part of a collaborative process to increase water resource reliability.

The Bureau of Reclamation will host a webinar on Monday, February 6, 2023, from 2-3:30 pm MST to discuss eligible applicants and project types, program requirements, and the evaluation criteria for the Environmental Water Resources Projects funding opportunity and the new Aquatic Ecosystems Restoration Program. To join the live event or use the same link to watch a recording after the completion of the live event, please hit the read more button, which will take you the live stream/video recording page.

If you have questions regarding applicant and project eligibility, program requirements, or the evaluation criteria for the Environmental Water Resources Projects, click here and select Environmental Water Resource Projects Inquiry to schedule a time to talk with the program coordinators.

READ MORE:
https://teams.microsoft.com/dl/launcher/launcher.html?url=%2F_%23%2Fl%2Fmeetup-join%2F19%3Ameeting_NmM3M2ZjNWEtM2ZhNi00ZTk3LWEwZTMtMTM1NzNhYmU0MGVj%40thread.v2%2F0%3Fcontext%3D%257B%2522Tid%2522%253A%25220693b5ba-4b18-4d7b-9341-f32f400a5494%2522%252C%2522Oid%2522%253A%25221d391144-b3dd-4a59-a98b-47abd1ddaa5b%2522%252C%2522IsBroadcastMeeting%2522%253Atrue%252C%2522role%2522%253A%2522a%2522%257D%26btype%3Da%26role%3Da%26anon%3Dtrue&type=meetup-join&deeplinkId=b0a10d41-7404-4416-ac18-501cd779c22a&directDl=true&msLaunch=true&enableMobilePage=true&suppressPrompt=true

8. Tribal Listening Session Opportunity- Notification of Consultation and Coordination on Effluent Limitations Guidelines and Standards for the Meat and Poultry Products Point Source Category (MPP ELG): February 6th and 13th

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is initiating consultation and coordination with federally recognized Indian tribes on forthcoming proposed revisions to MPP ELG. The MPP ELG regulations cover wastewater discharges from meat and poultry processing facilities, which range from slaughterhouses to renderers. Any revised limitations on the discharge of pollutants from MPP facilities, once completed by final rulemaking, will subsequently be incorporated into National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits, potentially reducing pollutant discharges into waters of the United States.

On September 14, 2021, EPA announced its decision to undertake a rulemaking in which the agency will determine whether more stringent limitations and pretreatment standards for meat and poultry products facilities are appropriate and consistent with the technology-forcing statutory scheme and the goals of the Clean Water Act.

The tribal consultation letter and consultation and coordination plan for this action are attached. These consultation materials are also available on EPA’s Tribal Consultation Opportunities Tracking System (TCOTS) website and can be found through the read more button below.

EPA plans to hold two identical Tribal Webinar and Listening Sessions on February 6 and February13, 2023. These webinars will be an opportunity for EPA to provide an overview of this forthcoming rulemaking and to receive input from tribal representatives about this action. To register:

Tribal Webinar and Listening Session #1
Webinar date/time: Monday, February 6, 2023, 2:00PM EST
To register: https://tinyurl.com/EPAMPPELG

Tribal Webinar and Listening Session #2
Webinar date: Monday, February 13, 2023, 2:00PM EST
To register: https://tinyurl.com/EPAMPPELG

The EPA's anticipated timeline for the consultation and coordination period on this action is expected to extend from January 9 to March 10, 2023.

For any questions, please contact Morgan Teachey, U.S. EPA, Office of Science and Technology by email at [log in to unmask] or by phone at (202) 566-2735.

READ MORE:
https://tcots.epa.gov/ords/tcotspub/f?p=106:5::1669::::

9. CDFW Grants: 2023 FRGP Public Solicitation Notice Open: Pre-application due February 9, 2023, full application April 20, 2023

CDFW is now accepting applications for projects under the Fisheries Restoration Grant Program (FRGP). The 2023 FRGP Proposal Solicitation Notice (PSN) (PDF) and 2023 FRGP Guidelines (PDF) outlines the priorities and requirements to apply. The deadline for the required pre-application phase is no later than February 9, 2023. Eligible applicants will be invited to submit a full application. The deadline for full applications is April 20, 2023, by 3:00 p.m. Applications must be submitted via CDFW WebGrants.

For more information, please see the 2023 PSN, 2023 FRGP Guidelines, and the FAQ (PDF) at their website. Applicants should refer to the Online Instructions (PDF) for information about how to complete the application and the Rich Text Format Application (Word) to help organize your application.

CDFW will be hosting several PSN workshops to assist applicants in understanding the requirements of the PSN and Guidelines. Information on the date and time of each workshop is available on FRGP’s Solicitation Page.

READ MORE:
https://watershedgrants.wildlife.ca.gov/index.do

10. Comments Opportunity- Share your input on the Environmental Justice and Civil Rights Implementation: Comments due February 10, 2023

You’re Invited: U.S. EPA Region 9 Non-Government Organizations, Community Based Organizations and Community Members.

This month, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 9 held four listening sessions to discuss the Region’s draft Fiscal Year 2023 Environmental Justice and Civil Rights Implementation Plan.  We welcome written input on the Plan through February 10th, submitted via email to [log in to unmask]

READ MORE:
https://www.cieaweb.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/EPA-Region-9-Regional-Admins-EJ-Civil-Rights-FY23-Plan-English_Draft-V0.4.pdf

11. Funding Opportunity- CERF Economic Development Pilot Projects SFP Open: Due February 13,  2023

The CERF State Leadership Team (EDD, OPR, and Go-Biz) has released the SFP for the CERF Economic Development Pilot Projects.

The SFP designates up to $50 million (up to $10m per project) in funding for 13 projects that have already emerged from existing regional processes or plans and are ready for implementation. Examples of eligible plans include the following:

• Community Investment Playbook

• Unified Strategic Workforce Development Plan (State Plan)

• Economic or community development strategy

• Infrastructure financing or community revitalization plan

• US Housing and Urban Development consolidated plan

• Regional growth plan

• Other similar plans or strategies adopted by a local or regional body.

Projects must also demonstrate the CERF core values of equity, sustainability, job quality and access, and economic competitiveness and resilience.

For more information on eligibility, proposal requirements, and deadlines, please hit the read more button below to view the full SFP.

Proposals must be received by 3 p.m. on Monday, February 13, 2023.

Valley Vision encourages all eligible projects in our Sacramento region to apply. If you plan on submitting a proposal, please let us know so we can track and help support our region’s efforts. Please note that the pilot project funding is being offered outside of the CERF planning and coalition-building activities. Those activities have not yet begun and will launch at our “Building a Community-Centered Clean Economy” kick-off event on February 13. We hope you will join us.

READ MORE:
https://edd.ca.gov/siteassets/files/jobs_and_training/pubs/wssfp22-05.pdf

12. Workshop Opportunity- Senate EQ topics, the Climate and Natural Resources Bond, and the state budget: February 27, 2023

The Southland is also hosting a workshop with Senator Ben Allen’s Senior Policy Consultant Tina Andolina at 11 AM on Monday, February 27th. (See attached flyer.) Senator Allen Chairs the Committee on Environmental Quality. Ms. Andolina will cover Senate EQ topics, the Climate and Natural Resources Bond, and the state budget.

Southland participants do not need to register.

Non-Southland participants must register using the google form by February 17th, which can be found at the read more button below. Questions should also be submitted via this form. The Zoom link will be sent to registrants around February 18th.

The previous Southland’s presentation on the Pathways to 30x30 by CNRA Asst. Secretary of Habitat and Biodiversity Madeline Drake can be found on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNTPa2DWTxg&feature=youtu.be

READ MORE:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeVR-GzFKaGbvmnAskqKCOMiRf3tax5QplXXe6ssPZEjy4MdA/viewform

13. Webinar Opportunity- Free Climate Resilience Training for Tribal Water Utilities and Stakeholders

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Creating Resilient Water Utilities (CRWU) initiative, in coordination with Indian Health Service (IHS), is providing a free webinar series for tribal drinking water, wastewater, and stormwater (water sector) utility owners and operators, as well as other tribal water sector stakeholders nationwide. Session 1 will kick off with an introduction to climate change impacts as it relates to tribes across the country, an overview of CRWU’s risk assessment tools and climate data resources, and a case study presentation from a tribal water utility. Session 2 will dig into CRWU’s tools and demonstrate how tribal utilities can identify climate adaptation strategies to protect their assets. Session 3 will bring in tribal funding experts to identify financing programs to pay for adaptive infrastructure projects.

This free training series will help tribal utilities incorporate climate change considerations into their decision-making, identify adaptation projects to build long-term resilience, and learn about federal and local resources for financing tribal utility resilience projects. To learn more about CRWU success stories, visit our Adaptation Case Studies Story Map for Water Utilities. To view previous online trainings, visit CRWU’s CRWU Training and Engagement Center.

Session 1

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Session 2

Thursday, March 9, 2023

1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Session 3

Tuesday, March 14, 2023

1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Register for the free National Climate Resilience Training for the Tribal Water Sector under the name “EPA CRWU Three Part Webinar Series" by hitting the read more button below.

More information on this training series is attached. If you have any questions about registering or EPA’s CRWU program, please contact Audrey Ramming at [log in to unmask]

Please feel free to share this opportunity with others who may have interest.

READ MORE:
https://www.ihs.gov/ehsc/classes/

14. Funding Opportunity- ICARP Adaptation Planning Grant Program: Round 1 Application Launch

How to Apply

1.Request for Full Application – APGP Intent Survey Phase: One representative from each project team must fill out the Request for Full Application - APGP Intent Survey can be found at the read more button below. Each project team will consist of prospective applicants, including a Lead Applicant and maybe Co-Applicant(s). We will accept Completed Surveys on a rolling basis through March 31, 2023. APGP staff strongly encourage Applicants to fill out the survey as soon as they can. By completing the Survey, you will gain access to an individualized SharePoint folder containing application materials. Applicants who do not submit a Survey will not receive a SharePoint link for application submission.

2.Full-Application Phase: After completing the Request for Full Application – APGP Intent Survey, applicants must complete a full application. Today staff released the public Notice of Funding Availability and individualized application folders to applicants who completed the Survey. Individualized folders include the Full Application and several resources to help applicants develop their applications, including various guidance documents, and templates. Until March 31, ICARP staff will continue releasing individualized application materials to all applicants who complete the survey.

Full applications are Due March 31 and consist of:
General Narrative Questions
Application Workbook to provide project workplan and budget
Up to three Letters of Support

Applicants must submit all application materials to APGP via the file-sharing platform called Microsoft SharePoint before 5:00 p.m. PT on Friday, March 31, 2023.

APGP staff will hold at least three Application Workshops that will explain all application requirements, provide additional information, and assist prospective Applicants. APGP staff will ensure that you can access the workshops virtually and via phone. APGP staff will record the workshops for those who are unable to attend or who wish to revisit the presentations.

READ MORE:
https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=OtQQFfwu1kGZWuhPTXdUkKcM6XDkHxNLt64FD0cuUPJUQzVYUFc3UklLN1pXNzNEMFFFSVIxMEdJOS4u

Unsubscribe:
http://LIST.CIEA-HEALTH.ORG/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?SUBED1=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL&A=1

P.O. Box 2128
Berkeley, CA 94702

510-848-2043
http://www.ciea-health.org/

If you would like us to share any events or news related to our mission, please do not hesitate to send the information to [log in to unmask]