CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL Archives

TRIBAL-CIEA

CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL@LIST.CIEA-HEALTH.ORG

From:
"CIEA Environmental Chronicle: Vol. 48, Issue 1, March 2023" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TRIBAL-CIEA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2023 15:05:48 -0500
View in Browser:
http://list.ciea-health.org/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?A2=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL;69d02acc.2303p

######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #########

CIEA Environmental Chronicle - Vol. 48, Issue 1, March 2023

Monthly news of environmental issues affecting Indigenous Peoples

######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #########

1. Opening Remarks- Womxn's Herstory Month

The CIEA staff would like to take the opportunity to honour the various womxn in our lives! From our amazing board members to our Executive Director to our staff and to all the strong and resilient womxn we work with, we see you and appreciate all that you do for our communities, our lands, and our peoples. Happy Women's Herstory Month!

The CIEA office is adhering to CDC Standards on sharing space with folx, so our offices are limited to CIEA staff. We will continue to work remotely and are available via email and through our phone, where messages are checked daily.

We also advise that folxs to stay safe, be prepared, and that we are here for you all.

Again, we are so happy to be able to provide you with monthly announcements about training, capacity building, Tribal Self-Advocacy and funding opportunities, as well as water related news. Readers are more than welcome to send information about upcoming events, training, or news that you think would be beneficial for other Tribal members in other regions to know to our Communications and Public Relations Coordinator, Joel Sedano at [log in to unmask]

2. Funding Resource: Office of Planning and Research Released a Federal Grant Guidebook

OPR has released a Federal Grant Guidebook, which is attached to this message.

The book is a “guide to over 800 federal grant programs available to individuals, governments, and all types of organizations to help address some of the biggest problems facing California. The Guidebook presents the grant opportunities by category, including Community and Regional Development, Business and Labor, Housing and Social Services, and more.”

Tribes recognized by state and federal governments are among the eligible entities for many opportunities in the guidebook. The guidebook can be visited through the read more button below.

3. Job Opportunity- Tribal Coordinator Position with the CROP Project

The CROP project has a long-established goal of engaging indigenous tribes in California in the direction of the project, as well as the physical reclamation of trespass cannabis grow sites on federal and tribal lands. For some time, we have been working with our science partners on proposals to implement a training program to make that a reality. The state recently awarded a CDFW grant to the Integral Ecology Research Center (IERC), with CROP as the key subcontractor, to recruit participants and coordinate the technical training and reclamation of trespass grow sites in the Ventana Wilderness of
Monterey County. This is the first of what we anticipate will be a series of state and federal grants to address the reclamation of thousands of sites on national forests and BLM lands of the state.

The Cannabis Removal on Public Lands (CROP) Project is looking for a consultant to assist with tribal outreach and recruitment for trespass grow reclamation work. The duties of this position will involve the identification, outreach, and recruitment of tribes for tribal crew training to increase regional reclamation capacity in priority watersheds and conservation areas. The Tribal Coordinator will also work to further strengthen tribal participation on the CROP Advisory Board.

This consulting position may be part-time or full time depending on the need, and will pay $25,000-$50,000 annually depending on experience and time commitment. It will mainly be remote, but may also require some travel. In addition to state funding, the President’s FY 2023 budget states:
“A priority component in the 2023 Budget request is continuing support for Law Enforcement Operations to clean up and reclaim illegal marijuana grow sites on NFS lands.” “A portion of the increase will also be used to continue to prevent the serious damage to natural resources caused by illegal marijuana cultivation on public lands. Hazardous materials and activities at illegal grow sites cause significant and long-lasting damage to ecosystems, water sources, and wildlife.

Funding to support illegal grow sites and anti-smuggling efforts is consistent with the National Drug Control Strategy.” Reclamation training funding at the state level has finally been secured, and there is movement at the
federal level. The opportunity for the direct engagement of tribes in this effort has never been as great, and has the potential of establishing permanent, trained tribal reclamation crews to restore grow sites on their aboriginal lands.

Qualifications:
Our ideal consultant will be someone experienced in tribal coalition building, outreach, and recruitment, and preferably someone who is part of a tribal community, and familiar with tribal government and culture. Our hire will have the ability to navigate those relationships and form connections. Our ideal candidate will also be self-starting, excel in communication, and have skills in nonprofit outreach processes.

Timeline:
The CROP Project is looking to hire the ideal candidate in the next 3-6 months. We anticipate the work will go on for one to three years, but may be extended as the training program is expanded and additional funding is acquired.

Contact Information:
For those interested in the position, please send a resume or CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a good fit to Jackee Riccio at [log in to unmask]

4. Webinar Opportunity- U.S. EPA Webinar – Healthy and Resilient Communities Cumulative Impact Assessment: Research and Regulatory Activities at EPA: March 14th

Individuals, groups, and communities are exposed to numerous chemical and non-chemical stressors found in their built, natural, and social environments (i.e., the total environment) as they go about their everyday activities. Evidence in the literature shows that environmental and social injustices drive health disparities linked to exposure to these stressors. Communities of color, low-income communities, and other underserved communities bear the brunt of these injustices and, as a result, face disproportionate health impacts.

EPA’s approach towards cumulative impacts is multi-pronged and includes engaging communities, governmental partners, and stakeholders; better understanding decision contexts; clarifying the scope of existing legal authorities; extending the consideration of environmental justice concerns in multiple regulatory and permitting contexts where such authority exists; and advancing the science of cumulative impacts to improve the Agency’s capacity in coming years.

During this webinar, the assistant administrator for research and development will moderate a panel of representatives from several EPA offices working to incorporate cumulative impacts into research, policy, law, and decision making. Each panel member will give brief remarks followed by a moderated discussion and a questions and answers session with attendees.

To register, please register for the webinar by hitting the read more button below.

READ MORE:
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_KbF5j5-YTq6BCfG6hcwYwQ

5. In-Person and Virtual Summit- TETRAA Strategy Summit: March 14-15, Washington D.C. and Online

The Tribal Economic & Tax Reform Advocacy Alliance (TETRAA) is holding a Strategy Summit on March 15th, 2023 in Washington, D.C. to focus federal advocacy efforts to change federal laws and regulations in support of expanding Tribal economic growth. The Summit is intended for Tribal leaders, key staff and their attorneys / lobbyists. The meeting is being held the day following the Treasury Tribal Advisory Committee.

TETRAA is a coalition of American Indian tribal nations, intertribal Native
organizations, Native-owned businesses, and their professional advocates dedicated to advocating for changes in federal law and regulations that
interfere with Indian Country economic development. The TETRAA Strategy Summit Agenda is available online.

TETRAA is focused on four primary objectives:
1.   Respecting Tribal Sovereignty and Treaty Rights to Free Tribal Economies,
2.   Reforming federal Tax Laws to Restore "Indians Not Taxed" Status
3.   Promoting Native Entrepreneurship and Business Development, and
4.   Supporting Research in support of Tribal Economic Growth and Tax Reform

READ MORE:
https://cwc.ca.gov/Water-Storage/WSIP-Project-Review-Portal/All-Projects/Harvest-Water-Program?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

6. Meeting Opportunity- California Water Commission meeting: March 15, 2023

The California Water Commission will hold a meeting at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, March 15, 2023, in the Warren-Alquist State Energy Building’s Rosenfeld Hearing Room, 1516 9th Street, in Sacramento. Please see the attached agenda for meeting details. Meeting materials will be posted at the following link: https://cwc.ca.gov/Meetings/All-Meetings/2023/Meeting-of-the-California-Water-Commission-Mar-15-2023.

The Commission will retain remote public participation similar to our online meeting format. This hybrid platform allows the public to participate in multiple ways.

To participate in person, please join the Commission at the Warren-Alquist State Energy Building, 1516 9th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814.

To participate remotely, you may join the meeting on Zoom (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83939540326?pwd=VldkQkdQejQ0ZDAxUFpqbCthOVZQdz09). More detailed instructions on how to use Zoom and participate in the meeting can be found on the Commission website.
Offer verbal comments by telephone by calling one of the numbers below:
(408) 638-0968
(669) 900-6833
Meeting ID: 839 3954 0326
Password: 715092

Individuals who only want to watch or listen can view the live webcast at: https://www.water-ca.com as it preserves interactive meeting resources for those who are commenting on items.

Public comments made in person will precede public comments from remote participants. For those wishing to make an in-person comment, comment cards will be available at the meeting to establish a comment queue.

Written comments received at the Commission office by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, March 13, 2023, will be made available to Commissioners prior to the meeting. Comments related to meeting agenda items will not be edited and will be posted to the Commission's webpage in their entirety. Individuals who require special accommodations are requested to contact the Commission by phone at: (916) 873-5774 or by email at [log in to unmask]

READ MORE:
https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/tribal-affairs/treasury-tribal-advisory-committee

7. Public Comments Opportunity- Comment period opens for Harvest Water Program draft contracts for the administration of public benefits: Due Date March 21st

Draft contracts for the administration of public benefits for the Harvest Water Program, part of the Water Storage Investment Program, are now available online, and. can be found by hitting the read more button below.

The Commission will receive public comments at the March 15, 2023, Commission meeting. Comments can also be submitted to [log in to unmask] until March 21, 2023.

8. Internship Opportunity- Indigenous Climate Internship Program: Deadline March 15th

Generously funded by THE BAY AND PAUL FOUNDATIONS, INC, the Tribes and Climate Change Program is excited to offer 5 summer internships with different host sites across the country. Host sites include Climate Science Alliance, Tó Nizhóní Ání, Climate Advocates Voces Unidas, Tribal Alliance for Pollinators, and the Yukon River Drainage Fisheries Association.

Apply by March 15, 2023 at bit.ly/tccp-internship! For questions, email [log in to unmask]

9. Annual Meeting- Society for California Archaeology: March 16-19th

The meeting will kick off on Friday morning, March 17, with the President’s Plenary.

The SCA’s mission statement says the organization is dedicated to the research, understanding, interpretation, and conservation of the heritage of California, but what does that mean in practice? We spend lots of time on fieldwork and writing reports, but how much of that actually gets beyond the gray literature out to a larger audience? If we truly want to build appreciation for the heritage of California, we need to engage with the general public to explain how archaeology is more than “being Indiana Jones” or finding gold.

The last several national presidential elections have resulted in shifts in federal policies that have had major implications for cultural resources. Building interest in archaeology has the potential to carry forward into building political support for preservation. But how does the average archaeologist connect with audiences? The plenary session brings together those with skills in connecting with varied audiences, from children to racial minorities to differently abled people.

The speakers will share stories of how they connect to lay audiences to build appreciation for California’s heritage. Hopefully their examples will inspire SCA members to expand their own interpretation efforts and tap into their creativity.

The SCA Annual Meetings provide a platform for the sharing of data from active research in California and the regions that pertain to it, as well as the opportunity to discuss challenges to the practice of the discipline.

The SCA is the largest state archaeology society in the USA, with a membership hovering around 1100 individuals, and annual meetings that regularly attract upwards of 800. Membership is diverse and includes students, Native American tribal members, and professional archaeologists working in CRM, academia, agencies, Tribal offices, and Museums.

The sharing of data allows attendees to gain a view of the status of archaeology throughout the region. Workshops and forums focus on timely issues and provide practical as well as research-oriented skills training. SCA meetings are both intellectually stimulating and fun, and they offer ample opportunities for professional networking and socializing with a community of individuals who are interested in and have dedicated their careers to historic preservation and California archaeology.

For more information, please hit the read more button below.

READ MORE:
https://scahome.org/meetings/annual-meeting-2/

10. Funding Opportunity- 2022-2023 Listos California Target Grant (LG) Program Request for Proposal: Due March 20th

The purpose of the Listos California Target Grant (LG) Program is to support organizations throughout California that serve smaller populations with key social vulnerability factors located in any given area at moderate to high risk from natural hazard. Community-based organizations throughout the state, referred to as CBOs, can work independently or subgrant with local CBOs to provide disaster training and resources to vulnerable and diverse populations. This work is intended to increase their communities’ disaster preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation capabilities.

Grant Subaward Performance Period:
June 1, 2023 - December 31, 2024

Submission Deadline:
Monday, March 20, 2023

Available Funding:
Individual Applicants may request up to $300,000.

Additional Information:
Cal OES will be hosting a Request for Proposal and Grant Subaward Application Training during on February 16. The training will provide a general overview of the Listos Grants Program and instruction on how to complete application forms. Any organization interested in attending the training should contact [log in to unmask]

The RFP is located on the Cal OES website, which can be reached by hitting the read more button below.

READ MORE:
https://www.grants.ca.gov/grants/2022-23-listos-california-target-grant-lg-program-rfp/

11. Webinar Opportunity- Spring 2023 Cutting Green Tape Virtual Exchange: March 22nd

Cutting Green Tape Exchange
March 22, 2023
12-1:30pm PST
Virtual

On March 22 at 12 noon, please join The Stewardship Network for the latest Cutting Green Tape Exchange -- hear from California Natural Resources Agency leadership and restoration practitioners across the state about how we can collectively increase the pace and scale of beneficial environmental restoration. Register by hitting the read more button below, and we look forward to seeing you then!

READ MORE:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYofuqoqDMtE9GEyDq4YvUi7qBFY8zYAtTA

12. Funding Opportunity- Historic Preservation Fund - Tribal Heritage Grants: Due March 29th

These grants assist Tribes, Alaskan Natives, and Native Hawaiian Organizations in protecting and promoting their unique cultural heritage and traditions. From the beginning, the program has been shaped by Indian tribes. It focuses on what they are most concerned about protecting: Traditional skills, oral history, plant and animal species important in tradition, sacred and historic places, and the establishment of tribal historic preservation offices.

Eligible applicants include federally recognized and “other than” federally recognized Tribal governments. Total program funding is $500K. More information can be found at the website, which can be reached through the read more button below.

READ MORE:
https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=345156

13. Funding Opportunity- ICARP's Round 1 of the Adaptation Planning Grant Program (APGP): Due March 31st.

This program provides funding to help fill local, regional, and tribal planning needs, provides communities the resources to identify climate resilience priorities, and supports the development of a pipeline of climate resilient infrastructure projects across the state. Applicants must submit all application materials to APGP via Microsoft SharePoint before 5:00 p.m. PT on Friday, March 31, 2023.

Unsubscribe:
http://LIST.CIEA-HEALTH.ORG/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?SUBED1=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL&A=1

P.O. Box 2128
Berkeley, CA 94702

510-848-2043
http://www.ciea-health.org/

If you would like us to share any events or news related to our mission, please do not hesitate to send the information to [log in to unmask]