CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL Archives

TRIBAL-CIEA

CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL@LIST.CIEA-HEALTH.ORG

From:
"CIEA Environmental Chronicle: Vol. 49, Issue 1, April 2023" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TRIBAL-CIEA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2023 12:59:49 -0400
View in Browser:
http://list.ciea-health.org/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?A2=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL;d32473d4.2304p

######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #########

CIEA Environmental Chronicle - Vol. 49, Issue 1, April 2023

Monthly news of environmental issues affecting Indigenous Peoples

######### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #########

1. Opening Remarks- Every Day is Earth Day!

The CIEA staff would like to take the opportunity to honour the various protectors and stewards of grandmother earth! We acknowledge and recognize the work Indigenous folxs do for our communities, our lands, and our peoples. We know every day is earth day!

The CIEA office is physically closed until April 30th due to the 'shelter in place' directive. The purpose is so we can evaluate if there’s any increased cases in the counties where CIEA staff live and work. Of course if the situation changes we will have to adjust our plan. We will continue to work remotely and are available via email and through our phone, where messages are checked daily.

We do want to take the time to continue to love, protect, cherish, and care for one another, especially our elders, folxs who are immunocompromised, as well as our essential workers including medical staff, grocery store workers, etc.

We also advise that folxs to stay safe, be prepared, and that we are here for you all.

Again, we are so happy to be able to provide you with monthly announcements about training, capacity building, Tribal Self-Advocacy and funding opportunities, as well as water related news. Readers are more than welcome to send information about upcoming events, training, or news that you think would be beneficial for other Tribal members in other regions to know to our Communications and Public Relations Coordinator, Joel Sedano at [log in to unmask]

2. Training Opportunity- Free Firefighter Training: April 3-8th

3. Webinar Opportunity- USGS Spring Webinar Series: April 6th, April 20th, May 4th, May 18th, and June 1st

The National CASC is hosting a webinar series on how to integrate Indigenous Knowledges (IK) into Federal research and resource management programs. Running bi-weekly from April 6 to June 1, 2023 (3 PM ET), this series centers Indigenous voices to explore ethical, legal, and scientific considerations for working within different knowledge systems and provides guidance reflecting best practices.

For more information, please hit the read more button below.

READ MORE:
https://www.usgs.gov/programs/climate-adaptation-science-centers/webinar-series-incorporating-indigenous-knowledges

4. Funding Opportunity- Tribal Facility and Residential Grant: Open Period: March 31st- May 31st

The Tribal Facility and Residential Grant Program is part of TSAF’s broader efforts to promote clean energy development and economic growth in Indian Country.

Through this program, TSAF will provide up to $200,000 per eligible project application for the purchase and installation of solar energy systems.

To be eligible for the Tribal Facility and Residential Grant Program, applicants must be a federally recognized tribe or a Tribally-led 501(c)3 organization in support of federally recognized tribes.

The Tribal Facility and Residential Grant Program will open on March 31st and close on May 31st.

The application link will be available on the TSAF Grant page, which can be reached through the read more button below.

TSAF will offer an informational webinar on Thursday April 6, 2023 at 1:00pm. EST (10am PST, 11am MST, 12pm CST). Please register at:  https://register.gotowebinar.com/#register/4799581990099212375

READ MORE:
https://tribalsolar.org/grants/facility-residential-grant/

5. Conference Opportunity- Our Land Our Nature: A Conference to Decolonize Conservation: April 14-15th

April 14-15 ,2023
New York, NY and Online

Hosted by Survival International, the third conference on Our Land Our Nature will be a two-day dialogue on how to decolonize conservation. This dynamic program includes scholars, journalists, and practitioners. This hybrid conference is free and open to the public!

For more information or to register, please hit the read more button below.

READ MORE:
https://www.ourlandournature.org/

6. Webinar Opportunity- EPA Tools & Resources Training Webinar: April 6th

Underground Storage Tank (UST) Finder
Thursday, April 6, 2023
3-4 pm ET

There are 540,000 underground storage tanks in the US with 60,000 releases remaining to be cleaned up. The greatest potential threat from these sites is groundwater contamination, the drinking water source for nearly half of the US population. UST Finder was developed to better address the prevention and cleanup of these contaminated sites. UST Finder is a web map application containing comprehensive, state-sourced national data on underground storage tank (UST) and leaking UST (LUST) data. It provides the first-ever national picture of UST facilities and LUST sites for the US. Attend the webinar to learn how to use UST Finder

Register by hitting the read more button below.

READ MORE:
https://usepa.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_1QApIY0hS2ylLEiFTyZWxw

7. Webinar Opportunity- EPA Tools & Resources Webinar: April 26th

The Enhanced Air Sensor Guidebook
Wednesday, April 26, 2023
3-4 pm ET

Recognizing the ever-increasing availability of air sensors, expanding user base, and growing scientific knowledge, EPA updated the popular Air Sensor Guidebook, originally published in 2014. The refreshed version, called The Enhanced Air Sensor Guidebook, includes updated content and new topics that incorporate best practices, current knowledge, and recommendations to guide the use of air sensors. The Enhanced Guidebook supports users in planning and collecting air quality measurements using air sensors. Attend the webinar to learn more.

Register by hitting the read more button below.

READ MORE:
https://usepa.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_jsR31QO-SwCV_9PWVmlKHg

8. Conference Opportunity- Tribal Climate and Health Infrastructure Vulnerability Workshop: Deadline to ask for Travel Support April 5th

Join the South Central Climate Adaptation Science Center, BIA Tribal Climate Resilience, and Southern Plains Tribal Health Board for a no-cost, two-day workshop. The event is open to any tribal staff such as  health professionals, emergency managers, transportation and roads staff, or environmental staff.

There will be an optional pre- training introduction to climate change webinar on April 18th at 1-3 pm Central time.

The in-person workshop topics will include an introduction to vulnerability assessments and flood impacts to roads and health facilities, along with group guiding users going through the steps of the assessment process.

Event Dates: May 18-19, 2023 from 8 am - 4 pm Central Time.
Location: Sac and Fox Nation Community Building 920883, S. Hwy 99, Stroud, Ok 74079

Travel support is available. Please indicate if you need travel support below. Travel support will be given on a first come basis. You must register and indicate by April 5, 2023 to be considered.

Contact [log in to unmask] with any questions!

Register by hitting the read more button below.

READ MORE:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdzncEbFb8deHb6LtW8Nb8TQZt9mtlIqnuj2FD1HWCCo15-oA/viewformhttps://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdzncEbFb8deHb6LtW8Nb8TQZt9mtlIqnuj2FD1HWCCo15-oA/viewform

9. Job Opportunity- Program Coordinator for ITEP: Deadline to Apply is April 17th.

10. Technical Assistance Opportunity- Free leak detection technical assistance available

11. Program Opportunity- The Environmental Justice Government-to-Government Program

The Environmental Justice Government-to-Government (EJG2G) program provides funding at the state, local, territorial, and tribal level to support  government activities that lead to measurable environmental or public health impacts in communities disproportionately burdened by environmental harms.

Model EJG2G programs should leverage existing resources to develop processes or tools that integrate environmental justice considerations into governmental decision-making at all levels. Formerly known as EPA's State Environmental Justice Cooperative Agreement Program (SEJCA), this program has been renamed to better reflect the spectrum of entities eligible for this funding.

For more information, please hit the read more button.

READ MORE:
https://www.epa.gov/environmentaljustice/environmental-justice-government-government-program

12. Funding Opportunity-  Grid Resilience State and Tribal Formula Grants Program: Extended Deadline till May 31st

The amendment extends the application deadline to May 31, 2023, and amends application requirements to include a mail-in option.

Today, the Department of Energy (DOE) issued an amendment to the Administrative and Legal Requirements Document (ALRD) for the Grid Resilience State and Tribal Formula Grants Program to address feedback received from stakeholders. The amendment extends the deadline for States, Indian Tribes, and Territories to apply for funding to May 31, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. ET. The ALRD also amends application requirements to include a mail-in option to ensure that applicants without internet access can apply for the grants. Mail-in applications must be postmarked by May 31, 2023.

The $2.3 billion Grid Resilience State and Tribal Formula Grants Program, authorized by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and administered through the Grid Deployment Office, focuses on strengthening and modernizing America’s power grid against wildfires, extreme weather, and other natural disasters that are exacerbated by climate change. The program will distribute funding to States, Territories, and federally recognized Indian Tribes, including Alaska Native Regional Corporations and Alaska Native Village Corporations, over five years based on a formula that includes factors such as population size, land area, probability and severity of disruptive events, and a locality’s historical expenditures on mitigation efforts. Priority will be given to projects that generate the greatest community benefit providing clean, affordable, and reliable energy.

The deadline extension responds to stakeholder feedback and provides additional time for States, Indian Tribes, and Territories to prepare applications. As part of continued outreach from DOE to Tribes, Tribes identified numerous unique challenges. In particular, remote Tribal communities indicated that lack of reliable internet access presents a barrier to applying for this program. As such, DOE is now offering a mail-in option for all applicants.

In addition, the new deadline also reflects a similar deadline extension made by the U.S. Treasury Department to the Local Assistance and Tribal Consistency Fund (LATCF). In February 2023, the Treasury announced that the deadline for applications to the LATCF would be extended to April 28, 2023 for eligible Tribal governments. Recognizing that applicants to DOE’s Grid Resilience State and Tribal Formula Grants Program may use LATCF funds to meet cost-match requirements, the DOE extension provides more time for both programs to be pursued.

Applications for allocated funding for the Grid Resilience State and Tribal Formula Grants Program must be submitted prior to the May 31, 2023 deadline and will be processed on a rolling basis as they are received. Accordingly, applicants may submit their applications as soon as they are ready and grants may be awarded prior to May 31, 2023.

Unsubscribe:
http://LIST.CIEA-HEALTH.ORG/scripts/wa-CIEAH.exe?SUBED1=CIEA_LIST_TRIBAL&A=1

P.O. Box 2128
Berkeley, CA 94702

510-848-2043
http://www.ciea-health.org/

If you would like us to share any events or news related to our mission, please do not hesitate to send the information to [log in to unmask]